Last Sunday I went to Jigatake, which is a small resort just before Hakuba in Omachi the neighbouring area! Just 1 hour 45 mins from Kofu and about 45 mins from Matsumoto.

We went there as one of are friends child has never skied before, so this was recommend by my Japanese friend, because of the soft snow and easy slopes.

It is serviced by just four lifts, with a connection required half way up to get to the top.

The steepest slope is only intermediate at best, but the snow was excellent, soft with tons of deep powder everywhere and it kept good the whole day. It started slightly sunny in the morning after a fresh over night fall of snow, followed by mostly cloudy with the odd flurry now and again.

The slopes are also very wide and smooth so great for high speed skiing and long winding terns.

It is not challenging at all, but if you want great snow and an easy day on the snow or like me if you like to ski fast then it makes for a refreshing change from skiing the really steep slopes! If you want a challenge don't come here!

It is certainly great for beginners as that is the reason we went there.

There is also a bumpy course with ramps and hills which are fun to ski on for the more advanced where you can do jumps, which my daughter and I did.

Lift lines were almost non existent and at for the most part the slopes were quite empty, making it easy to do your own thing!

Also at the entrance to the resort there is a sledging area for the children, which actually uses a big sledge to take them to the top of the slope so they can slide down, great fun for children.

There is one restaurant and a rest area above the restaurant, which serves the usual sort of food. We brought our own food so don't know how it tasted.

If it is just my daughter and I going then I don't think we will go there so often, although there was great snow other resorts about the same travelling time would offer much more!

It was cheap though at just 2800 for adults and 1000 for children using the discount system at the convenience store!

snowdude00_102.JPG

Entrance and kids sledging area!

snowdude00_111.JPG

Restaurant and rest house

snowdude00_110.JPG

A view of the bottom of the resort

snowdude00_109.JPG

View from near the top

snowdude00_108.JPG

Mountain view

snowdude00_104.JPG

View from the top

snowdude00_107.JPG

View from the top

snowdude00_103.JPG

View from half way down

snowdude00_105.JPG

Very deep pow everywhere

snowdude00_106.JPG

More deep pow!

Jigatake! I thought no one goes there. Glad you had a good time.

If you carry on that road you will hit the center of Kashimayari Ski Area - which is quite a large resort.

• SnowJapan Admin

Sorry about that snowdude, I need to get Bob (the tech dude) on this.

I replied again can you get that info back to me so Bob can try to find out what is going on.

Thanks

:)

Ok I got log on to my account eventually, I think it is also a fault on my part, having too many accounts! Anyway thanks for your help David, I have now uploaded the pics to here to go with my report.

• SnowJapan Admin

you sure work that poor dog very hard.....just as well this isn't at home as I'm sure the RSPCA would want to have words with you! ;)

Bob (the tech dude) has actually made a big decision today, or at least strongly recommended a big decision, about the new stuff and direction we are working on for next season.

Looks like his team are going to be full-on right through until November.

So it's kind of a big day.

Hurray for Bob!

Sorry for going off-topic snowdude! :friend:

No problem at all, wow looks like you guys are going to be snowed under with work for sometime!

As always keep up the great work you do here to keep things running smoothly.

Is it Jigatake or Jiigatake? That hiragana up top seems to be Jii?

Nice report thanks.

And look forward to Bob and teams work :)

I think you will find it is Jiigatake as the Hiragana in Romaji would be Jii

I've been Jiigatake once, maybe eleven years ago. It was a locals day for 1000 yen. The half pipe wasn't closed then so I played in that a bit. There's a kind of funky cafe there now I heard, open in the off season too on weekends.

Kashimayari's quite good and there's little competition for pow on the good bits. Its also got a great rotenburo with views of the slopes and the alpine (Kashimayari-dake and Goryu-dake) quite close up on a clear day. It has no roof so you can sit in there with it snowing on your head like the monkeys do.

I've been Jiigatake once, maybe eleven years ago. It was a locals day for 1000 yen. The half pipe wasn't closed then so I played in that a bit. There's a kind of funky cafe there now I heard, open in the off season too on weekends.

Kashimayari's quite good and there's little competition for pow on the good bits. Its also got a great rotenburo with views of the slopes and the alpine (Kashimayari-dake and Goryu-dake) quite close up on a clear day. It has no roof so you can sit in there with it snowing on your head like the monkeys do.

Sun Alpina Aokiko is the first place I boarded in Japan. Shame it's closed now. Has anyone been to Kashimayari or Sanosaka since Aokiko closed? I'd like to know what it's like around there these days if you could take a minute to share :)