Hey crew, I have to ship all my gear (snowboard,boots,etc etc) back to the states after this season and was wondering if anyone might know some good/CHEAP ways to get this done?!?!?!

Any help would be great!

Good luck getting cheap with DHL....friends tried to organize DHL shipping from Switzerland to Australia for over gear and were quoted $3000.

For that you may as well buy an extra seat on your plane home, enjoy the advantage of no one sitting next to you and use the mystery seats baggage allowance for your ski gear.

OH NO! this doesn't sound too promising...thanks for the heads up anyway. I'm not in the military either so no dice on that :(

oh well, hopefully something works out better than that DHL shinanigans!

Do the Japanese takyubin companies not do something for overseas? Or do they link up and use DHL or similar?

I'm sure I recall getting something sent over from overseas once and it came with a Japanese carrier takyubin online tracker thing...

Dude, you are down the road from Chokai. I love that mountain! Are you doing it in the spring when they open the road? How about Gazan?

If you plan on being anywhere near Misawa in Aomori I can let you use USPS mail. It would be the same as shipping from California (where the forwarding address goes to) so if your final destination is near there it would be cheaper than if it has to go to say Florida.

• Like 1
Yeah I had a comedy quote from DHL last year when I wanted to send some stuff back home.

I think it would have been cheaper for me to get on a plane and take the stuff! :lol:

In the end they got their gear home (well they hope...) by dumping her board (hers and mine had seen better days and got left behind) and then he bought some brand new powder skis and got his race skis shipped in the same box at no extra cost. We brought their bag home for them (with one of our bags and board inside it) by mailing some of our heavier stuff home for about $150 using the regular postal system.

Seems bizarre to me that it can be shipped home cheaper by going to these ridiculous lengths but there are no company's out there filling the gap of reasonable priced shipping of large items not required urgently... I mean c'mon! If the store can ship skis at no extra cost it has to be able to be done!!! (Pretty sure the original shipping cost for the new skis was reasonable too, less than $300 IIRC).

Dude, you are down the road from Chokai. I love that mountain! Are you doing it in the spring when they open the road? How about Gazan?

If you plan on being anywhere near Misawa in Aomori I can let you use USPS mail. It would be the same as shipping from California (where the forwarding address goes to) so if your final destination is near there it would be cheaper than if it has to go to say Florida.

YAMABUSHI, thanks for the offer man! I'll def keep it in mind! and Yes, Im like 30-40km from Chokai! LOVE THAT MOUNTAIN TOO! unfortunately my plans to hike/ski it last spring were nixed due to the disaster, and getting involved in the relief efforts etc etc. AND Im actually leaving before the road opens this year :( SUCKS, but what can ya do. At least I got to summit it a couple times during hiking season.

If you aren't in any rush, you could ship it home via Japan post.

A few years ago, I sent home some tatami mats, took about 6 weeks but only cost about 10,000yen or so.

Here is a link for the Japan Post Shipping Calculator:

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/cgi-charge/index.php?lang=_en

That is great that they handle bulky items.

Swiss post in Zermatt said, ummm..no..sorry, try DHL in Brig.

If you aren't in any rush, you could ship it home via Japan post.

A few years ago, I sent home some tatami mats, took about 6 weeks but only cost about 10,000yen or so.

Here is a link for the Japan Post Shipping Calculator:

http://www.post.japa...ex.php?lang=_en

Japan post is the best BUT problem with size.

Rob can send stuff to UK up to 1.5m length

Aussies and Yanks can only send up to 1.05m back home. booo