Have just watched the latest vids - thanks for posting 'em gozaimaas!!! & enjoy your last day on the slopes though I guess you're already tree-dodging as I type this! :D Envious!! Me? Too bloody right!! ;)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vid are great. I like BM´s ones. too. Really interesting to look at how the different boards are ridden. BM has a way (I reckon it comes from his skate and ski days ...) to actually make his board float as if he is making himself lighter at times.

One thing for sure is these gentlemen have jelly knees.

Seemore, I´ve ridden a Pantera before ...Magnum is the rea-lly wide one, isn´t it?

I reckon it will make a good swallowtail. I think it needs to be cut out to sink the tail.

Powder boards ...Does make me think, one for steep trees and another for glaciers

Powder boards ...Does make me think, one for steep trees and another for glaciers

I think you are onto something there... whats your thinking? narow and longer for the glaciers, shorter, wider, more setback and some taper for the trees?

dude, you are a BEAST in those trees! I dunno if its just typical go pro shenanigans making it all look way more dangerous than it is (though my gopro clips always look way LESS dangerous than it is and also has me falling down a lift line for about half the time).

Well it had to happen, I broke the gopro mount lol but it wasnt exactly my fault. Today I took out my 164 stepchild powder OG board complete with brand new sp fastec mountain bindings. Long story short the main strap of the binding broke on me after just 6 runs, turns out the ratchets are just glued on. I wasnt a happy chappy.

The board was really playful and floated unbelievably, you were right jynxx, the nose shape is everything when it comes to float but it just isnt enough board for me. I think I will probably off load it when I get back, its the perfect board for someone around the 80kg mark.

So whilst riding the OG I now had a normal tail, the result was a complete lack of turn response in the trees compared to the swallow tail. With the swallow you can really dig it in when you have to to get those super tight turns, I could not even get close to the turning performance of the bigger 172 with swallow tail. I highly recommend a swallow tail to anyone who wants to ride through the trees like I do. The OG with swallow tail would be an insane combo, float + turn response.

Unfortunately when I smashed the gopro up it deleted most of the files that I had taken today and rendered it useless for the rest of the day so I could not take any footage of the runs I was doing this afternoon which were without doubt the most exciting runs have ever done. 33 degree slope, tight trees, mach 1 speed in at least 2 feet of powder, I dont think anyone had disturbed that snow for weeks if at all. The vids would have been insane, oh well I have it locked away in the stoke folder in my brain lol.

No not getting bored getting excited.

Those trees were a bit to close for my liking.

Keep them coming.

I bought a couple of year old Nitro magnum 165 yesterday which I reckon might be good with a swallow tail

Seemore

If you want to ride trees do not hesitate. It makes the board 100x better for that style of riding with the only downfall I can see is it would have less pop for doing ground tricks and huge jumps. I dont do that stuff so there really is no downside for me.

dude, you are a BEAST in those trees! I dunno if its just typical go pro shenanigans making it all look way more dangerous than it is (though my gopro clips always look way LESS dangerous than it is and also has me falling down a lift line for about half the time).

Haha the gopro actually makes it look slower than it really is. Those runs were at mach 1 speed.

The vid are great. I like BM´s ones. too. Really interesting to look at how the different boards are ridden. BM has a way (I reckon it comes from his skate and ski days ...) to actually make his board float as if he is making himself lighter at times. One thing for sure is these gentlemen have jelly knees.

Hey Jynxx, I think the style probably comes from a mix of skate (first love affair with a board!) and ski but also surf. Got some new footage this weekend so I'll throw something together and post it later.

Gozaimaas! Awesome vids dude! I'd like to shred it up with you sometime if you make it out this way :thumbsup:

The vid are great. I like BM´s ones. too. Really interesting to look at how the different boards are ridden. BM has a way (I reckon it comes from his skate and ski days ...) to actually make his board float as if he is making himself lighter at times. One thing for sure is these gentlemen have jelly knees.

Hey Jynxx, I think the style probably comes from a mix of skate (first love affair with a board!) and ski but also surf. Got some new footage this weekend so I'll throw something together and post it later.

Gozaimaas! Awesome vids dude! I'd like to shred it up with you sometime if you make it out this way :thumbsup:

No prob mate, where are you at?

Well it had to happen, I broke the gopro mount lol but it wasnt exactly my fault. Today I took out my 164 stepchild powder OG board complete with brand new sp fastec mountain bindings. Long story short the main strap of the binding broke on me after just 6 runs, turns out the ratchets are just glued on. I wasnt a happy chappy.

The board was really playful and floated unbelievably, you were right jynxx, the nose shape is everything when it comes to float but it just isnt enough board for me. I think I will probably off load it when I get back, its the perfect board for someone around the 80kg mark.

So whilst riding the OG I now had a normal tail, the result was a complete lack of turn response in the trees compared to the swallow tail. With the swallow you can really dig it in when you have to to get those super tight turns, I could not even get close to the turning performance of the bigger 172 with swallow tail. I highly recommend a swallow tail to anyone who wants to ride through the trees like I do. The OG with swallow tail would be an insane combo, float + turn response.

Unfortunately when I smashed the gopro up it deleted most of the files that I had taken today and rendered it useless for the rest of the day so I could not take any footage of the runs I was doing this afternoon which were without doubt the most exciting runs have ever done. 33 degree slope, tight trees, mach 1 speed in at least 2 feet of powder, I dont think anyone had disturbed that snow for weeks if at all. The vids would have been insane, oh well I have it locked away in the stoke folder in my brain lol.

you broke your new bindings and your GoPro........that was NOT a good day.....oh yeah, you were bulleting through trees with a couple of feet of powder......deserve all you got!! ;) :p

Well .. bugger that. You are putting equipment to the test compared to me because you subject them to twice the Force. Bummer about losing the footage, though!

Stepchild powder Og is great buy at the moment imo, too. You can get it for 200 instead of folking out 400 for a Voelkl, Elan, soulsurfer types .

I like a little taper because it really makes the board carve, but 1 cm is enough. Over that, even at my weight I feel the tail sliding out when going fast on piste. (especially when a bit icy)

2cm taper is no way enough to claim something special for powder. That´s a joke. Think about the amount of surface area reduced by 2 cm taper ! We are taking off at least 5 to 10 cm on a swallowtail.

I don´t think of them as powder boards, On piste , chill out boot top powder cruiser.

I think you are onto something there... whats your thinking? narow and longer for the glaciers, shorter, wider, more setback and some taper for the trees?

Essentially YES.

To elaborate ...

I have to say, Powder deserves to be thought differently ... like Ice or morguls. And Trees are a different game as well.

I think there are 2 analogies in regards to float . One is a skipping stone - like skimming the surface of powder. Another is aeroplane wing flap - lift created by the angle of incidence. In both case, Speed is your friend

To help this speed, longer narrower boards fits perfectly with the glacier senario. Also, when there are flat sections. You can also put your weight on the front without getting a nose dig and ride that way as you normally do when you hit a steep section. You don´t have to transfer your weight back and forth adjusting to terrain changes. In this long board design, I´d look for an effective edge length that is similar to your normal freeride board and a lifted nose length on top.

We are talking camber board variations here. You have heard of S-rockers. That´s a bull shit term. It just a camber between foot and an early rise long nose.

That is the only advantage I see (early rise long nose) over DIY long board swallow conversion. This nose rise will add the aeroplane wing flap effect and also make your nose swing easier when turning because it´s not buried.

But if you have enough speed going, you will start to skim over the surface, (especially lighter weight people like me. ) and it´s not the nose rocker that has the effect , but the shape of the nose.

Put that into trees. Scary stuff. gozaimas is really hauling ass, he is ``in the Zone´´ People who have experienced this can tell you that things seems to slow down, like you are meditating ... Few people can go that fast in the trees, and you woudn´t see me doing that lol. It´s a good idea that you practise running slalom course set for skiers on piste and run that on snowboard.

Anyways, what got me thinking is a board for trees. I think you need to have steep if you have a shorter board. If you hit a flat section, you are stuffed. I think if you are DIY, do a swallowtail, split it, and get prepared to skin out.

So possible options.

1) Buy a board like Salomon Burner, Voelkl coal, F2 eliminator, Oxigen ... I´m talking fast race base boards. I cannot beat my missus riding a 157 burner and she gets stuck less. This option will work for light weight people.

2) Hovercraft. especially when you are heavy. Very wide boards with set back. Taper is not going to do much.

3) Do the gozaimas. - interested in seemore´s Magnum project. The advantage of a swallowtail is that you can dig the tail and brake, but digging too much loses speed and becomes harder to turn.

I am light weight so personally at the moment, interested in how Dupras D1 165 goes in the trees.

Missus and I would like to have a longer board (we are 60 kg) . 165 would be great. I would like to have a swallowtail 172-180 too.

No not getting bored getting excited.

Those trees were a bit to close for my liking.

Keep them coming.

I bought a couple of year old Nitro magnum 165 yesterday which I reckon might be good with a swallow tail

Seemore

If you want to ride trees do not hesitate. It makes the board 100x better for that style of riding with the only downfall I can see is it would have less pop for doing ground tricks and huge jumps. I dont do that stuff so there really is no downside for me.

Won't be doing to many tricks or jumps just big turns hopefully.

Seemore

Well I made it back home, I haven't slept for over 36 hours and I cant seem to get tired enough to crash out!

Day 2 in tokyo sucked pretty hard, I loved the cultural aspect of tokyo with the shrines and east gardens but you can have the rest of tokyo and most of the people. They are suit wearing, ground staring robots and are nothing like the friendly people of hokkaido.

I will not be going back to tokyo. I was glad to leave to be honest which is a far cry from last year when it just about broke my heart to leave hokkaido.

Next year I am doing a longer tour and going to focus on northern honshu, I might go pay a visit to a few of the mountains memphis hawk and co have been showing off I think!

Tokyo can be like that.......as can Sydney ;) BUT it is just a big city. I like visiting but not staying. For me there are just too many people, I live far enough away to not have that as a problem but close enough to enjoy the great things Tokyo has to offer. I wouldn't really go to Tokyo for the shrines etc....there are some good ones, but there are better places very close to Tokyo to get my fill of that. The Palace....meh......bit a waste TBH as you don't see anything interesting. Those parklands are nice though, have a walk back from snowboard shopping in Ochanomizu, through those parks and jump back on the train at Tokyo (or actually in the opposite direction cos who wants to drag snow gear for any length of time!!??)

• 3 weeks later...

Ive "reached my quota of positve posts for the day". Im afraid this will have to wait till tomorrow to be liked... along with almost everything else in the thread. :) Gorgeous pics to go with the insane clips. Seems like you killed it on your trip :)

Haha no worries ippman, I just want to share the stoke really. I know how much I relied on reviews, pics and vids from other peoples holidays to plan my own, it really does help. Plus I get to relive my trip a little bit everytime I see someone post ;)

• 1 month later...

My powder board construction has begun, this is the template

IMG_2949.jpg

This is a profiled core

IMG_2952.jpg

I will post up some more pics once I have one fully constructed.