• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Vids gozaimaas especially the last one in 'Stack-arama'

Excellent conditions you lucky lad.

Haha yeah if that tree wasnt there I think I was in for a much longer slide!

Interesting vid... you can see that the nose is not quite floating but hitting against the snow thus acting like a break.

Yeah, noticed that, hence the curiosity. What's your guess Jynxx, camber or rocker?? ;)

Its a 2009 burton supermodel with a DIY swallowtail. Full camber.

Please note that I am 6'3" and probably over 120kg with gear and backpack.

I realised last year in Japan that I hate rocker,and I rode full rocker and hybrid rocker. Not being able to get a decent edge on the piste really takes away from the fun. This board kills it everywhere on the mountain.

Camber + swallowtail + big setback is where its at for me. Total mountain domination, excluding park but I have no interest in park.

I am tearing past guys riding the burton fish every run as they slide around trying to find an edge.

Interesting vid... you can see that the nose is not quite floating but hitting against the snow thus acting like a break.

If its acting like a break somebody forgot to tell me, this board is fast.

IMG_2511.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

Not sure ...

But my line of thinking is :

1) This is a classic example that the nose shape is important. In this case , if the nose is pointy (like Dupraz. Nitro slash) shape, it will help. If not, then the nose should be longer, meaning probably a longer board.

2) Also a good example of the trade off with set back and speed loss - meaning that the nose lifts but slows down the board. This is not a bad thing if you are snowboarding steep tight trees. By burying the tail you can brake the board. An advantage with swalowtails.

But in this case, the bake is reducing the speed and thus reducing the lift of the board. You can see that even when the board is flat with the snow, it is just under the surface

Not sure ...

But my line of thinking is :

1) This is a classic example that the nose shape is important. In this case , if the nose is pointy (like Dupraz. Nitro slash) shape, it will help. If not, then the nose should be longer, meaning probably a longer board.

2) Also a good example of the trade off with set back and speed loss - meaning that the nose lifts but slows down the board. This is not a bad thing if you are snowboarding steep tight trees. By burying the tail you can brake the board. An advantage with swalowtails.

But in this case, the bake is reducing the speed and thus reducing the lift of the board. You can see that even when the board is flat with the snow, it is just under the surface

You are not taking into account my weight. 120kg easy with gear. Show me a board that will make me magically float and I will buy it. If a lighter guy was to ride this board it would look much different I am sure.

No arguments there..

It makes sense. I wrote before reading your reply.

I say it is still too short for you. I wonder how people think a 160 mid width board would float at your weight...

Like I said before, I would love to ride a 172 swallow (at 60 kg) . You need a 186.

Talking about fast. Shuuure, a 172 would beat a 160 any time. If you are not overtaking skiers, you aren´t going fast. ;)

Have just had another look at the vids and yeah, although the nose isn't floating, the only thing that seemed to be slowing you down was that tree in the last vid! ;) I must get myself back to Rusutsu!!! :D

Cheers Gozaimaas

Looks pretty good where were you boarding just off a few runs to start off but the last 3?

Cheers Mate

Seemore

I will send you a pm telling you which runs were filmed where.

This vid is for you Jynxx. It is a typical run for me, belting down the groomer faster than anyone else and then hitting my favourite powder stashes. I dont like limping from stash to stash on a rocker board like I did last year, this board is much more fun.

There was no new snow today but still plenty of powder left over from yesterday to enjoy and the bluebird skies made it all worthwhile. I just cruised around taking pics and enjoying myself with a few cruisy runs.

Here are some more vids, I hope im not boring you guys!

Cheers mate,

Really dig that ! Yeah, you are dialing in. You got speed with you so the nose floats and consequently find it easier to turn ... That´s wasn´t happening in the first batch of vids. I know it´s a matter of commitment but my head tells me to slow down in the trees, but I need a bit of speed to make shorts turns in the tight trees so ... catch22

Very fast run in the trees ... Gutsy ! :D :thumbsup:

Looks like your board has become something else ... Can see the swallowtail working on piste,

The tail is softer because of less material but the set back make the tail short so that doesn´t feel soft, and the longer nose makes it flex more overall, that´s good in pow. (long words haha)

So whatdaya reckon about your board !? It might be difficult to carve with that set up but that´s a compromise we all make.

In Pow, I don´t think you would do better unless you get a Winterstick ST. ;)

Forget the gopro on the stick if you are gonna go thru trees like that... fast !

Few close shaves there ...Take it easy mate :) :thumbsup:

Haha I always say there is no such thing as close, you either hit it or you dont.

Last day today, then off to tokyo for 2 days

No not getting bored getting excited.

Those trees were a bit to close for my liking.

Keep them coming.

I bought a couple of year old Nitro magnum 165 yesterday which I reckon might be good with a swallow tail

Seemore

Yes you have to shoot vid or everyone may think you are a puss.

Thanks for sharing it will be good to shoot some vid to compare.

See whos the gnarliest :sjcool:

So far you win hands down though.

Seemore