So I have a question. I have been trying more and more switch jumps lately, but they have all been small, and only 180's

I want to do big switch jumps and switch 360s - both frontside and backside.

I am comfortable with the approach, take off and landing of my small switch frontside 180's but it's an easy jump, I don't even have to hold an edge, when my board goes off the jump, my body and board just naturally turns back to regular stance. But which edge do I want to be holding to go bigger.

It seems that I should be holding the heel edge, because that's what I hold when I spin in regular stance, but when I do hold an edge switch and spin small, it is invariably the toe edge. It just feels right.

Anyone have any advice ?

no real advice, per se, i aint got the experience, but i like your thinking. im going medium and straight natural, so its probly a good time to drop in a few switch jumps...

now..the advice..on the ground tricks dvd i got it talks of ollie 360's, the narration says u can jump off your toes or your heels,and i watched a couple of riders (off heel and toe) and both spin frontside. so maybe if the toes feel good then toes it is.

for others trying 360s on the flat..its usu more a 270 so the trick is not catching a leading edge on the landing. im having trouble learning this bit, but occassionally it works and feels good.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikazooki:

subsequently a switch jump is a jump that goes uphill.
:rolleyes:

A switch jump is when you ride into a jump "switch", meaning opposite foot forward. If you normally ride regular (left foot forward) you would ride in with your right foot forward, and vice versa.

I am not really sure what you are getting at there mikazooki. The jump goes uphill? errmmmm

just yokin' (thats scandanavian for jokin')

i thought the backwards bit would give it away.

y'know like the water skier that spent all his time lookin for a lake on a slope!?!

im sorry ill tell the truth from now on.

what about switch and fakie.... same meaning? one better than the other in some instances? any preferences? i usually say switch.

Ahh yes, the sarcasm comes across so well when reading text. [ arrow pointing left ] you detect it there?

We've had this switch vs fakie discussion before. I used to refer to riding backwards as switch and tricking backwards as a fakie trick (ie fakie 360 melon)...but now I have pretty much stopped using fakie and only say switch. Leave the fakies to skateboarders.

this isnt really relevant but is it just me or are most people in japan regular footed?

when i was out i only saw one or two people riding goofy (which is what i ride)

im pretty crap at riding switch. i can only link together a few turns and then i have to change back.

Given the lack of powder days here in Walled Lake, Michigan I sometimes spend a jolly day finding new things to try on the slope to keep myself entertained.

I tried to make a rule to do at least 10 fakie runs per day, and actually did it one day.

It was like going back to being a beginning boarder...sudden slap-down falls, endos, inability to turn when I wanted to resulting in excessive speed then a slam-down...

Screw that!

Then I tried a more mellow stance--12 degrees front and 0 degrees back. I could ride fakie much better, but because my legs were trying to move as if I were still running my usual, very forward stance, my knees got constantly torqued and afterward they clicked and hurt for a couple days.

Back to my original stance.

The next project: mount my bindings switch (right foot forward) and see if I can ride that way.

I'm guessing I'll be better at riding switch fakie than plain old switch.

See how much fun you can have in Michigan?

\:D

on regular 360's . . .

the easiest place to do a regular 360 is at the bottom of the halfpipe. just before it flattens out, there are small lips on either side. jump off this lip from the flat of the halfpipe to the flat on the course.

the lip of the halfpipe starts your spin for you, so it is very easy to get around 360. once you have the motion down, it is very easy to perform this motion off of bigger jumps.

hope this helps snowboard_freak et al.

Cheers for the advice barok, much appreciated.

I'll have to give it a go when the season starts up over here.

My first attempt was rather pitiful, landed flat on my back. Knocked the wind of me. I think it was in your (barok) journal that you did the same thing when trying a 540. Certainly doesn't tickle!