Our family have been going to NASPA in Yuzawa the last few years and having a wonderful time. It is quite expensive, but a lovely holiday if you are looking for a convenient family ski resort.

They have 3 New Zealanders working there in the ski school this year, and a child care facility, so it is a place where you can leave the kids if you want to go off and enjoy the day. Quite a few foreigners go to the resort, so they are fairly used to dealing with foreign families. Recommended.

The website is here http://www.naspa.co.jp/english

Can't speak highly enough of ARAI. PROFESSIONAL with a BIG P. Blair's the man to talk to. Other than being a very nice guy, he's got the low down on it all. Drop him a line @

blanderson@ari.moritagrp.com

Happy skool dayz. \:\)

Yeah my friend also had a good experience when he brought his two sons to Arai last month. They`ve got a whole day package including lunch, from 9:30am to 4:00pm I believe. The cost was not all that expensive either. It is a bit far from Tokyo, though. :p

These days a lot of Ski resorts are opening up big kids areas. Give them a call and find out what they offer. I know happo has a big fenced in area with sleding, playthings etc. Also see ski instructors with a group of wee ones all together.

Same in Gifu I would think Naeba as well but that is a guess.

I think you will find that things are getting better than they used to be.

I always get a kick out of seeing little rippers on snowboards - I mean the really teeny ones who yah know are 3 or 4 years old.

I saw one kid who couldn't have been more than 6 or 7 rippin' through the trees on a snowboard, at Hakuba 47. This kid passed one of my friends - in the trees for gaadsakkes.

Hiked a tree line at dyna earlier this year and met this kid named Kenta, was a friends student ironically. The next time will hiked the kid followed. I was a little worried about his abilty, kid was 11 or 12. The trees at the top are tight. first time down didnt see him, he came down with a buddy. We split with him at the big kicker. He went to lunch with his dad.

At the end of the day he was waiting at the kicker for me. He wanted me to take him back up to the top. Went back up and got a look at this kids style, the kid ripped. I would ski with that kid anytime almost anywhere.

Remember this kids name he is good.

Yeah I saw this one kid at Aizu Kogen Nango...he couldn`t have been more than 5 or 6 but it turned out he`s quite a little snobo yaro already. Everyone at the board park went silent for about 3 sec when he nailed that big kicker! He`s gonna be the one to look out for when he`s grown. \:\)

All you people without kids, especially you people in your 30s have it really easy now - plenty of money, plenty of time.

BUT, you will suffer worse when you finally realize that to be a human and an adult means bringing up a child or two.

Well, in that this a place where people post either information or an opinion, and my post had none of the indications of being information, an intelligent person would assume that it was an opinion. But I suppose you want me to pussy-foot about using 'IMHO' expressions and listing all those exceptions like those unfortunate folks that can't have children, or who don't have plenty of money? If so, then you'll just have to live with your disappointment...

There's a family of 3 kids from Osaka (all with punk rock names) who are little 'tensai' at snowboarding and wakeboarding. They're often featured on the sports news, bravely overcoming their sprains and broken arms to win the half-pipe, and practising endlessly on the trampoline on the roof of their apartment.

I'm not quite sure why these activities can't wait a few years until the children have had an education and some playtime. I don't count endlessly practising to win competitions as playtime. And their diddy jumps and spins in the pipe may be 'amazing for their age', but they look crap considering what has been endured to get there.