Looking to get my wife a setup, have the board picked out but not the bindings. I've searched as much google as I possibly could for reviews/info and get nothing/very little.

She's a beginner, but she wants to snowboard, so we don't want to keep renting. Looking at getting the Ride Promise board (148, which would come up to her mouth).

If you have any reccomendations please tell me. Looking at possibly Ride LXH/VXN, K2 Charm, Roxy RX Fastec, Rome Madison. There are a few others but open to suggestions.

Please drop your knowledge on me ladies (or anyone, really :) ) Domo!

Sorry Norcal read the post incorrectly.

She was using Burton Customs because they were pink and I picked them up cheap (Good Binding).

Other girls have used a few differnet ones, I think as long as they have a bit of movement you can't go wrong.

Seemore

My two cents - don´t need to spend 200 bucks on a binding or this years model.

We have - Older Burton Mission (the camo look) and Drake Czar. We have these from 4-5 years ago.

Missus likes the toecap on the Mission straps. More flexible binding - For light weights and beginners. She has worn this for 3-4 seasons no probs. This is on the Rome Vinyl.

Czar has big ratchets - easier to do with gloves on. Thick padded straps. Big grooves on the strap for ratcheting. More solid feel but still has flex. After 5 seasons (me 3 + wife2) still going strong. Attatched on the Salomon Burner that gets ridden hard.

Ride LX is good. I´d pick one if I come across it cheap. I can use a Aliminium base binding for splitboard binding conversion (needs welding).

Just get her one of the "sets" at your local sports store. Basic board, bindings and boots for under 200$. Let her ride on that for a season or two and then get yourself a whole new set up and give your old stuff to her ;)

Thanks for the responses, as always much appreciated!

Just get her one of the "sets" at your local sports store. Basic board, bindings and boots for under 200$. Let her ride on that for a season or two and then get yourself a whole new set up and give your old stuff to her ;)

I wanted to get to the Winter Sports Festa this weekend, but I'm on call :( We may take a trip to Kanda, some of the shops there seem to have decent prices. Will also give Sports Depo a try tomorrow.

I was just trying to get something that would be good for longer than a few seasons, but I can see what some of you are saying about used/inexpensive setups. Would make sense, especially if she loses interest after a season or two.

More important than the board would be boots, especially for women, as fit and heel hold is often difficult due to the different lasts they use to make the boots. Try on boots with thin socks, then use heavier socks when snowboarding. The liners will pack out in about a week of riding or so, and then you won't be left with sloppy boots. I suggest Boa closures since for beginners, it is often difficult to "feel" the correct fit, and you can "dial it in" with Boa, as well as being much faster than traditional lace closures.

If you are looking for bargains, check out Yahoo Japan Auctions, as there are frequently great deals on new/old stock bindings, boards, etc. I have picked up new snowboard boots for 500 yen, boards for less than 5,000 and bindings for about 2,000, name brand stuff. Use the setup twice and it becomes cheaper than renting.

FWIW, last November at the Winter Sports Festa held at Big Sight, I did not see that many great deals, most products had similar prices to what you can find if you search in Kanda.

Good hunting!

P.S. I hail from So Kal. Home mountain used to be Mammoth, or Squaw when up north.

check out a local Book Off/Hard Off. They often have a large selection of boards, boots and bindings.......of course it could be a large selection of crud but a good rummage can throw out a golden nugget or 2. i got my bindings there 2 years ago for 4000 yen!

More important than the board would be boots, especially for women, as fit and heel hold is often difficult due to the different lasts they use to make the boots. Try on boots with thin socks, then use heavier socks when snowboarding. The liners will pack out in about a week of riding or so, and then you won't be left with sloppy boots.

Wearing thin socks is important. But NEVER WEAR HEAVY SOCKS when snowboarding, This idea comes from old skool ski boots 40 years ago :lol:

You don´t want compression. (bad for circulation- cold feet) You were thin socks (but not too thin ! ;) ) so it gives you a better fit. You do that to pick your boots and to board with them ...

Lining pack out means your boots are dead. This is something most boarders dread. you want to wear in the boots. This doesn´t mean packing out the liner. Liner pack out gives sloppy/ loose fit and cold feet

I suggest Boa closures since for beginners, it is often difficult to "feel" the correct fit, and you can "dial it in" with Boa, as well as being much faster than traditional lace closures..

I disagree on this one, too.

I agree that some people doesn´t know what the correct fit is - strange as it sounds.

But dialing the BOA doesn´t mean you actually `dial-in ´ ....you wish, but doesn´t happen

You get compression spots where the wire is.

Interesting point to add.

Women´s foot geometry is different to men. - But so are everyone´s.

My wife rides VANS. I got her a VANS (women´s) BOA but after a week, she found out it was half size too small. She didn´t like BOA compression either.

She eventually found a VANS (men´s ) same as mine, laced, and loving it.

I use BOA and have no problems with them. I can dial in and out easy on the lift, no faffing about.

Perhaps because you actually bought the right size first time around also you dont have any problems. ;)

Agree agree agree. Boots is where it is at. Time for me to buy some new boots mine have become 'packed out'. ... Heel lift is making flatter areas hard work.

Regarding the bindings..my first were the K2 charms, they did fine fr a couple of years, but then the ratchets started to give it up. WWS fastecs have been an awesome 2nd binding, and outstanding for on piste stuff. I have decided this trip however that I need two set ups now. A cambered board with the fastecs for on piste, icy days, general use. And a rockered longer board with traditional ratchet bindings for off piste powder days.

Your wife will probably be very appreciative if you start her off on a rockered board with a set of fastecs or k2 cinches. By the time she decides she wants something else they will be needing replacing anyway.

Lining pack out means your boots are dead. This is something most boarders dread. you want to wear in the boots. This doesn´t mean packing out the liner. Liner pack out gives sloppy/ loose fit and cold feet

I am referring to initial liner pack out after about a week of skiing/riding. This is also the reason why most people purchase boots a size or half size too large. They try on the boots with factory fresh liners, and then after the liners compress, the boots are too large. This can be solved by wearing thin socks and then progressively using thicker socks (for example, Smartwool PhD Ski/Snowboard Light to Medium weight).

dyna8800 ... I can understand where you are coming from but it doesn´t sound right

A liner that initially packs out 1/2 or one size - definately something wrong ! :thumbsdown:

If you know such models from your past boots, PLEASE LIST THEM here.

Will help others a lot ... we won´t buy them ;)

We all wear our new boots when we buy them new, before taking them out - like wearing them every night watching telly, etc ... That´s called moulding your boot naturally .. Hair dryer (not too long !) before slipping it on helps.

dyna, good choice of socks if you can get them :friend:

I use BOA and have no problems with them. I can dial in and out easy on the lift, no faffing about.

Perhaps because you actually bought the right size first time around also you dont have any problems. ;)

Like I said, not as easy as it sounds.

Some people choose half size too big, some choose too small ...

dyna8800 ... I can understand where you are coming from but it doesn´t sound right

A liner that initially packs out 1/2 or one size - definately something wrong ! :thumbsdown:

If you know such models from your past boots, PLEASE LIST THEM here.

Will help others a lot ... we won´t buy them ;)

We all wear our new boots when we buy them new, before taking them out - like wearing them every night watching telly, etc ... That´s called moulding your boot naturally .. Hair dryer (not too long !) before slipping it on helps.

I agree with you fully, I think you misunderstood what I said. Most people purchase boots a half size or even a full size too large. Then, combined with the liner compressing after break in, the boots fit sloppy. It is a common problem...chalk it up to inexperience.

For ski boots, the best way is to take the liners out and shell size (I have heard serious snowboarders doing the same), then "breaking in" the liners by doing what you said, watching TV, sitting around the living room, etc. while wearing the boots. Of course, a heat moldable liner like the Intuition would be even better...I would love to try out the new Flow Hylite Zipfit snowboard boots.

BTW, I use the Eurosock Ski Superlite, it is ultra light, probably the thinnest ski sock on the market..