The views up there are amazing. I am really looking forward to going back this season sometime on a guaranteed clear deep blue day.

As for the ski resort while large scale I wasn't particularly excited but the snow hasn't been great when I have been, not been when conditions have been amazing yet.

Hopethat that will happen this year too!

:friend:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear Daily Mail   I'm certainly not usually the type to write in and complain but I'm just getting so tired of these over-sensitive type people complaining about other people making jokes about the

Ah, but did you hike naked though, akitapow?

You're right. There were loads of places that had as much or more snow than Niseko in early December. How could I be so wrong?!

I forgot as well to add that part of the amusement is how sensitive some of you guys are. It's like an itch that needs a rub. :lol:

Keep it coming! :party:

You were referring to the situation now... not early December. I'll tell you what is even more amusing than how sensitive some people can be... people who have only ever been to Niseko and think it's the center of the universe for ski resorts in Japan. Niseko is great but so are loads of other places in Japan.

Been to plenty places, Black Mountain. Oh yes don't you worry about my experience.

Probably more than most people on here, probably even yourself.

I think I quite clearly mentioned early December. If you read my post you will see that.

I stand by my comment about "Prolonged lack of snow".

A simple look at the reports and casting your mind back just a few weeks will quite clearly show it.

Unless of course it was that parallel universe where everywhere was being dumped on in December that you are thinking about........come on at least give it 6 months before you start re-writing history. :lol:

I wasn't calling your experience into question... just as I assumed you weren't referring to me as one of the 'sensitive types'. It's been snowing like crazy in Myoko for weeks now with Seki onsen reporting 380cms. Nozawa has been getting tons as well with 290cms. Hakuba Cortina has over 250cms and has been getting dumped on. There absolutely has not been a prolonged lack of snow.

Did I mention Myoko?

Did I mention Nozawa?

Hmmm. Nope. I do not believe I did.

As I said, you're obviously right in the fact that Hakuba had a really bumper December 2011 and there was no waiting around for snow. Oh no.

Let the history books show it, Sirs! :lol:

So what is your point then? The fact that there was less snow in Hakuba in December (something I've even written about in these forums so trying to make it seem like I'm rewritting history is a little ridiculous) has caused people to start bickering even though there has been loads of snow there this week? That just doesn't make sense. In the four days I was there this week there was over 100cms of fresh snow.

So what is your point then? The fact that there was less snow in Hakuba in December (something I've even written about in these forums so trying to make it seem like I'm rewritting history is a little ridiculous) has caused people to start bickering even though there has been loads of snow there this week? That just doesn't make sense. In the four days I was there this week there was over 100cms of fresh snow.

Are you just a bit dim or something?

Here's my point. The one I made in my original post here:

Quite amusing though all this bickering.

I suppose prolonged (relative) lack of snow does that to people.

140cm. I think Niseko was on that a full month ago.

Sorry if that doesn't make any sense to you, I can't do much about that.

If you saw that part of Happo outside of winter you'd know why it takes lots and lots of snow to open.

The problem is the shape of the land, not the "its a national park" status per se. The "national park" bit probably just means they can't get bulldozers in.

If that sounds weird, it should be noted that many many ski runs in Japan have been smoothed and widened using earth movers.

This is what the resort say

リーゼングラートコースは国立公園内です。

自然環境保護の為、積雪が150cm以上になるまでは、グラートクワッドリフトの営業運転はできません。

皆様のご理解をお願い致します。

Don't know but by the sounds of it they need 150cm and so they couldn't open it if they wanted to as things are now.

Wonder when the last time was it wasn't open at this time of the season?

Hopefully soon.

Ive dug down at the top of happo and there is more snow than 150cms base up there. The rule isnt the snow the rule is the bush has to be covered on the piste run. Some years if the snow pushes the bushes down early the resort can fire up the lift. We had quite the year for rain so I wouldnt be surprised if the bushes were a bit higher. This year has seen light snow and quite cold weather for Hakuba in general. Like most places in Japan I have skied powder every day that ive skied and Ive only skied at Happo so far. Also have been putting down some great lines in the BC and slack country as well. As for me keep the top lift closed it keeps the good stuff that much better.

such a BUMMER forsure! was just there around new years and hiked to the top ;) Snow was def lacking but it was almost bluebird out so the views were amazing....unfortunately every time I go to Happo, the snow is "MAMA" but I can def see how it could be amazing with the right conditions!

what do you guys think about Cortina!!!! love that place!

As I said, you're obviously right in the fact that Hakuba had a really bumper December 2011 and there was no waiting around for snow. Oh no.

Let the history books show it, Sirs! :lol:

One thing I would like to 'rewrite' is all the bs that came out of the Niseko hype brigade that it was the snowiest Dec in 50 years. Did you see all that crap? Dec 2005 was snowier than this last Dec!!

The hype people can get out of hand but it was still an excellent December.

Niseko Now >> "For those following that info we posted previously about the snowfall in Kutchan.... the snowfall for December 2011 ended up being 349cm. That number was 201cm in December 2010 so you can see the difference there and the snowiest since 2005 and certainly more than the last few years. Nice. Still not as impressive as 1969 when there was a massive 587cm recorded!

1969 must have been pretty mental.

The winter of 69/70 was the biggest snowfall season on record in Kutchan. Nov - 196cm, Dec - 587cm, Jan - 534cm, Feb - 341cm, Mar - 346cm, Apr - 15cm. Total for the winter 2019cm. Over 20m of snowfall at only 176m above sea level. Would have been up over 30m fall on the upper mountain. Snowclearing wasn't what it is today back then either and supposedly getting around town was rather difficult.

I believe the' biggest Dec in 50 years' hype was from people getting confused over media reports to that affect in Hokkaido. The area that did get the most snow in over 50 years was up in the far NW of the island though, not in the Niseko region. Wakkanai (at sea level) recorded 200cm which was the 2nd snowiest Dec on record just pipped out by 1956 when they recorded 201cm.