I won't be posting any pics or vids of today because I haven't even got the energy to upload them to computer right now. They would also show next to nothing because we boarded in pretty much whiteout conditions all day. Just wanted to post a quick note about the day I had today.

Got up at 3:45am and out the door by 4:30ish. The drive up to Hakuba was pretty uneventful but somewhat painful after exiting at Toyoshina. There was a very light snow falling but for some reason everyone was just crawling along. By the time we got to Hakuba village the snow had picked up a bit and I was starting to look forward to making a few turns. When we arrived at Cortina it was absolutely belting down with snow. There was at least 15cms of fresh in the parking lot and in the 10 minutes it took to get ready there was close to another 5cms on the car! It continued that way for pretty much the whole day until mid-afternoon when it turned into a full on blizzard (which sadly also meant the top lift got closed!). Not so sure about tomorrow. If the wind dies down a bit it's going to be awesome!

A little note about the snow quality:

- Just to get that tiresome joke out of the way; it was not bottomless ;)

- In general: The snow falling was what everyone always hopes for; big, light, fluffy goodness. However, there was nowhere near the same amount of snow as last year at this time. In fact, there are still plenty of hazards off piste like branches and shrubs as well as some very dangerous looking tree wells with even a few of the creeks which haven't been covered yet.

- On piste: Although there was a lot of fresh snow from the last two days the top runs that are ungroomed were pretty treacherous. It was knee to thigh deep powder over hard, uneven moguls. That mixed with near whiteout conditions meant the inevitable flip and tumble! Luckily it was pretty soft. The lower runs that are regularly groomed were beautiful. Soft and deep.

- Off piste: As I mentioned above, it wasn't as good as I had hoped. Because I've been to Cortina several times when the conditions have been perfect (+60cms of fresh on a +300cm base under clear blue skies) it's a little tough to give an objective view of the conditions (everyone likes something different anyway!). What I can say is that under the fresh snow there is a pretty hard crust so making any hard turns means you have to be careful. I basically found the same conditions throughout the entire resort.

My day was a 10 out of 10 (because I'm a positive guy and had a great time!) even though the conditions were probably only a 6 out of 10 (I'm pretty hard to please ;) ). What I hope for tomorrow is the snow to continue, the winds to die down, and the visibility to improve!

Hey pete! Not sure if you'll get this but we are holding off on rushing over to cortina today. it looks like the top of the mountain is closed right now. I'm going to wait to see if things will eventually open there. I have a feeling that with the reported 55cms and winds that it won't be opened today... fingers crossed that it will!

Good report BM. It ties in with what a lot of people have been saying. You can have fun out there, but it's been a bit dry so far this winter. It's been cold enough to snow, which is sometimes the problem, but the clouds just haven't been coming this way. I can't remember a New Year's with as little snow.

As it happens, my inbox is completely bottomless, so the only one out so far is my daughter.

• Like 1

Well, all of the complaints I had about the snow quality were erased by the storm on the 5th. The extra +55cms of snow that day at Cortina buried all of the little shrubs and stuff that were somewhat worrisome. Because of the blizzard like conditions I ended up taking a little break in the onsen to wait for all the top lifts to open.

On the 6th I was there bright and early (along with loads of other powder hounds for a totally awesome blue bird deep powder day. We lapped it up all day long and were still finding fresh turns on the last run of the day. I'd say it was a 9 out of 10.

The biggest surprise was today (Jan 7th) as Cortina got another 30cms but nobody turned up to ride it. The skies were an even deeper blue than the day before but this time it was me and only a few other people getting turns off piste. Today ranks as one of the best days I've had. 10 out of 10 :) . I'm going to work on a little video over the next few days to show the trip. I'd write more now but my brain is a shambles...

That's great BM. Happo was windy, a little crusty and starved for fresh snow. Quite busy, too. If I were here wIthout the family I would seek better conditions elsewhere.