I finally made it up to Hakuba for more than a day trip and I was excited to see how this area compared to others in Japan that I'd been to. We were staying in the Wadano Mori area, a short 3 min walk to the Sakka lifts. This is a really picturesque area, the alpine style lodges nestled between the snow laden forest. I'd seen the snow report and was aware that hakuba didn't get the dump that other places around Nagano and Niigata had over the Christmas weekend and the forecast was not calling for snow until perhaps the Sunday afternoon/night so i went up there expecting my few days to be less nipple deep in powder and more cruising along the groomers. The saturday was a beautiful day to be on the mountain, brilliant sunshine, azure blue skies which contrasted nicely with the dazzling white of the snowy mountains. Although not deep, the snow was in good condition, it was still cold out there and the snow on the groomers, while packed, was still ice free and soft. The thing that impressed me most though were the views!! Hakuba is in amongst some real mountains, with the brilliant weather it was a snow photographer's dreamscape (Muika.....this was your kind of day). So on this note, it pains me to say that I got 0 pictures to back up these claims. I was left in charge of battery-charging duties and it would seem that I'm mentally deficient in this area as despite having inserted the battery in the charger for the whole of the previous day, there was not 1 volt of power in my camera's battery!! :(

I spent most of this day coaching Mrs TB in snowboarding, which meant spending the morning on the lower slopes before convincing her to head higher up. Actually for only her 3rd ever day on a snowboard (the other 2 days were 2 years ago at Shiga Kogen), se is actually pretty decent. She can link turns and is in control for the most part. She is at the stage where she has to consciously think through every mover her body has to make, so if she gets distracted....say by another rider coming too close, slope being slightly steeper, becoming tired......then she bails. i tried to instil confidence in her with gentle praise and encouragement but apparently my version of this is her version of "bullying"!! :lol:

Anyways, I digress. After switching battery charging duties over to her, the camera was charged up and able to snap away some pictures of NYE with Panhead Pete, Stemik, TJ OZ and of course, Smelly the Cheese

gallery_6323_105_45517.jpg

The next day was a little hazy (headwise, not weatherwise) and there had been no overnight snow, so me and mrs TB decided to forgo the slopes, have an onsen and then a stroll around the village. We walked down from Wadano, along the Olympic road the cut up into Echoland an then back towards the Happo area of the resort. A lot of snow around, just that it wasn't very deep.

gallery_6323_105_55907.jpg

It was actually quite warm, i only had a t-shirt on underneath my Jacket, in the course of the day I also literally lost my hat.

we stopped for lunch at a Hotel with a great view of the Happo slopes, I unfortunately cannot recall the name but the nama ham pizza was great.

After dropping Mrs TB off at the hotel, I decided to head up the slopes and get a few turns in for the remainder of the afternoon. The snow was as expected, hardpack and the upper slopes were uber Mogul-tastic.......wasn't exactly the best fun I've ever had on a board. i snapped a few photos from the very top but they were nothing like the potential ones I could've had the day before, but still the view down the valley was pretty spectacular

gallery_6323_105_43107.jpg

gallery_6323_105_46919.jpg

and my old time favourite......arm-outstreched-self-photo....

gallery_6323_105_36517.jpg

That night we spent drinking at The Pub, a British style Pub in Wadano. Had a few nice beers, good atmosphere and it actually felt as if I was in a pub back home.....other than the mutlitude of Aussie accents of course.

I was leaving the next day and as I was a little disappointed at my on-snow time here, i decided that if the forecasted snowfall came, then I would buy a half day ticket and ride before getting the bus. I woke up to find that it had started snowing but it wasn't that much and coupled with a bout of man-flu I'd picked up I decided that it wasn't worth riding........I made the wrong choice. Just as I was packing everything away and checking out, the snow just seemed to get stronger and stronger. It didn't stop all day. From wandering around Wadano, I'd say that about 15-20cms of fresh fell which would've been nice on the already packed snow on the slopes. The lifts didn't seem busy either.......I was kicking myself TBH. Me and the missus spent most of our time wandering around trying to find places that were open for lunch....other than the on-slope cafes, there isn't much choice.

gallery_6323_105_18309.jpg

Thanks to info in the free Hakuba Connect magazine that I'd picked up, I found Gakuto Lodge & Cafe in Wadano. Its managed by a young English couple over for the season and they cheerfully said that the cafe is newly opened and they are in the middle of tweaking it as they get up and running. Nevertheless, the bagel burger was damned good and the coffee was ace.

gallery_6323_105_35697.jpg

as you can see from the last 2 pics, the snow finally did come down in Hakuba but for me it was just a day too late (well I suppose I should've manned up and stole a cheeky half day)

In summation, I liked Hakuba a lot for the village......its a real nice part of the country, the village looks a hell of a lot better than most resorts in Japan, and alongside Niseko, it has a somewhat similar vibe to apres that's found in Europe and Nth America. It was great to meet some SJers in the flesh and share a couple of cold ones with them. I was a bit disappointed that i didn't get to experience the true Hakuba powder but that is at the whims of Mother Nature and had I been staying a day or 2 extra, no doubt my opinion of the riding aspect would have been a lot different.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing TB.

Yes Hakuba is in a stunning setting.

I plan to get there this season. But I want it to be one of those 100% guaranteed bluebird day(s).

I have been a few times but never been when it has been perfect for pics. I will get it done this year.

The few times I have been as well the snow has been nothing special.

Let's good timings!

Just check my avatar dude ;)

Anyway, it was just a joshing expression and actually meant as a compliment to the missus!

I know :thumbsup:

Muika, its unfortunate that I didn't have the camera for Saturday because it truly was bluebird. The Mountains off the back were thick with brilliant white snow......I think maybe Creekboy took a few photos of that ridge a few years back and posted them.....but they were spectacular.

Two things:

1. Happo on a dump is fantastic. Its about the only time i would honestly go to happo. No dump = mogulbahn. And wind = shutdown of almost everything the few times ve gone there. :)

2. That little kid is soooo cute!!! <3

Very cool report. I asked my wife when we are going to make our first trip of the season to Hakuba. I got the snappy ....Can I unpack the bags from the Hokkaido trip we just came back from?? :veryangry: Maybe I should give it a few days..haha.

We had a blast staying at the Gakuto villas last year and I will check out the cafe this year. Wadano (Sakka) is my favorite place to stay.

Great Report!

And it was wonderful to meet you and your lovely wife/girlfriend. You sure can drink!

Shame the snow wasn't that great for your visit. No doubt you will be back!

He took his wife AND girlfriend?!

Good going there TB! Very gnarly/

:lol: well i thought the naked hiking would've scared the locals, so anything to keep up the Gnarly-factor!!

Yeah stemik, it was great meeting you. Next time I'm up I'll give you a shout. :thumbsup: