I'm heading up to Hokkaido in a few days so I don't have time to get in to Tokyo. But I was thinking of picking up some fat skis for this season to add to my "quiver". Do any of you know of any shops in Sapporo or Asahikawa that have any kind of selection of fatties?

Sapporo Sports Shop. A 6 storey building full of sports stuff. Ground floor for skis and boots.

I think 2 North off the left side of Tanukikouji as you're heading south from the station, or was that the beer place. But it's there somewhere.

Thanks T.... I'll try to check it out. Asahikawa is much more convenient as I will be going to Kamui quite a bit and skating at Taisetsu Arena....(teaching the kid).

In Asahikawa you've got Alpen Sports and another big chain store (the name escapes me at the moment, possibly Murasaki?) that are either side of one of the main roads that lead into the city centre - about 5 mins by car or you can get a bus from the train station. Sorry I can't be more specific! :friend:

Thanks for the info Mick. I've been to all the standard shops like Alpen, Victoria and Murasaki. I guess I was thinking of more of the specialty shops you find in Tokyo. I'll hit them again to see if they are carrying anything new other than the ubiquitous carving ski.

We are going to be in Hokkaido from the 23rd to Jan 3. That's the plan anyway.... Weather permitting. I probably won't be getting to Niseko this time as I can't stray to far from home base...Rumoi. Can't leave the MIL on her own for more that a day or two. Mostly sticking around Kamui, Pippu, Santa present park and the local ski jo's around Rumoi.

Thanks for the info Mick. I've been to all the standard shops like Alpen, Victoria and Murasaki. I guess I was thinking of more of the specialty shops you find in Tokyo. I'll hit them again to see if they are carrying anything new other than the ubiquitous carving ski.

No worries! & have fun at Kumui - one of my favourite resorts (apart from that slightly uphill section that you need to use to get from the top of the gondola to the far right (skier's right) lift!! :thumbsup:

No worries! & have fun at Kumui - one of my favourite resorts (apart from that slightly uphill section that you need to use to get from the top of the gondola to the far right (skier's right) lift!! :thumbsup:

I agree....skied there almost every weekend for the three years I was in Hokkaido. Had some epic powder days.

I'll be taking the laptop so I'll let you guys know how it goes. cheers.

Pippu, with one of those backless, pizza box chair lifts.

There wasn't too much else to make it memorable other than what we thought was a gizzard soup lunch set.

Very little ski shops in Asahikawa, mainly the big ski warehouse mentioned above. Better choices in Sapporo.

Worthwhile checking out Tomamu also. They have a good offpiste policy.