On the national news they had a 'pull a serious face' item about a snowboarder running over a 5-year old kid at Zao. Before the adverts, the announcer promised us a topic about 'unforgivable behaviour by violent snowboarders'. After the ads we were shown footage of a number of anonymous snowboarders wiping out in that flailing way they have, then a graphic of the crime.

Father is snowploughing with Taro aged 5, between his legs, at the confluence of two runs. Wicked boarder wipes out and slides through dad and into Taro, cutting his head. After watching to see that Taro can actually move, the perpetrator boards off. He is now being sought by the police for grievious bodily harm.

There was some nice footage of 5-year olds hurtling unsupervised, and then back to the studio for a close-up of the serious announcer, saying that snowboarders have more injuries than skiers, and cannot carve on certain types of slopes.

I have yet to see them get quite so serious about dangerous driving, bosozoku, and other crime, and the total failure of the police to do anything about it. There was no attempt to question whether 5-year olds and their dads riding as one unit might be a hazard on slopes. And although they interviewed a member of the ski patrol at Zao, they didn't ask him where he was at the time, and what he thinks needs to be done to prevent this kind of thing in future.

So if you happen to see a snowboarder wearing white trousers and a brown jacket, be sure to contact the Yamagata police. He's wanted for a crime.

thanks for the heads up Ocean!

"I have yet to see them get quite so serious about dangerous driving"

that line cracked me up. I was surfing last week and this dude has no etiquite. I would say , 'dozo', basically just go man and he ended up dropping in on 3 waves on me. I didn't get upset, but I did try to teach him something. He dropped in on me again, I dropped in and hit him in the head with my 9 footer. I asked him if he was okay, he saie\ hai and then he left. Pretty much pissed me off big. If the guy was on North Shore, he'd be dead. Luckily I'm a good enough skier that I can avoid this crap on the slopes....

Yeah, I'm very careful myself, and give everybody a wide berth. I'd rather take a pratfall than rub somebody out. But the tone they take about snowboarding, and the one-sidedness of their reporting really pisses me off. Seriously, if they schoolmarmed the yakuza on the evening news like that, the punch-permed thugs would die of shame.

And the fact that an accident at a resort has become a police matter is just beyond belief.

Think I just saw it on the TV. Crap is what crap is. Some people just dont get that there are manners on the mountains. Look up before droping in, dont stop in the middle, give way down hill, dont cut above your buddy and on and on. This goes both ways. Japanese just like to blame things. I think, no I know boarders are not all bad, that said same with skiers. I hindsight I should have said bullsh.t.

Love what you do with no regrets.

This souunds suspicously like the Japanese traffic rule that says you run into a stationary object, no matter how stupid their parking or placement of car maybe or the weather conditions, you are wrong.

So therefore this snowboarder is in the wrong. He is a dangerous menace to society and needs to be reprimanded. Poor old little Ojichan and Taro minding their own business stoping and starting and flailing all over the slope. Completely innocent party.

Those darn 'Boarders AGAIN - someone should do sumfink 'bout 'em, ban the bast#%*s - make 'em go to 'ski school', tsk, tsk, tsk! \:D

Seems like both parties involved were in the wrong - dipstick and child should be on a beginners slope (if not already?), and the 'Boarder should've been riding within his limitations/prevailing conditions. mad.gif

Sensationalism and lack of REAL news seems to be the REAL issue. cool.gif

Don't let the mongrels get ya down!

SZ.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I hope they caught him.

But yeah you can just imagine the newscasters face turning into that serious look, maybe some sinister music going on in the background and some images of snoboyaro's (oops, sorry SnoboYaro!) doing "bad" things like hanging around.

mad.gif

So, who's heading the man hunt? We know what the person was wearing at the time. What else??? Come on people! Do you realy care and if so, what are you doing about it? Helping the police or getting in your piece of paragraph fame? Well, I hope those who are serious about this matter, take time to visit the little boy or stop the nonsence and do something when you see it instead of looking for bragging rights. Time wasters! But I too, waste time and I accept my faults. Lets hold hands virtually and embrace our imperfections. \:D