hi everyone,

i thought of trying out either snow boarding/skiing during my short visit to Japan in March. Plan to travel fr tokyo-fukuoka.

im a total alien to this sport. Just thought of giving it a try since i wont be able to do it bk at hm. have only tried wakeboarding once at hm.

Is there any recommended regions/resort for 1st timer? & is it necessary to go for boarding school if im doing it solo?

any replys/comments r welcome

Look at the trail maps of smaller resorts and find something with a nice long, wide beginner/intermediate run. The region really makes no difference.

Generally you can get reasonably proficient in about 3 sessions. If you have no one at all to give you pointers, a lesson might be a good idea.

if youve never skied/boarded and your coming from singapore (which i assume from the "sg") then you wont be hard to please!

hakuba goryu has a nice wide run at the bottom which would be good for beginners but i remember it being farely crowded.

seeing as you dont speak jap, and its your first time you'd probably be better off finding a place that had english speaking instructors (do they exist? i will leave that to someone more in the know-how, living in singapore myself) your location would be limited to where english instructors were available id think, unless you fancy taking a lesson in japanese.

it might seem like a gimpy idea but why dont you go to snow city in singapore a few times before you leave just to get the hang of it so when you go you can pretty much slide. you can take some lessons here and then you will probably be proficient enough to tackle some of the slopes in j-land.

snow city blows, but its probably wont be a bad idea if you want to learn.

www.snowcity.com.sg

• 2 weeks later...