hakuba & niseko trip feb 2012 (just a few questions)

hi all , have just booked by flights for a two week trip to japan , staying at hakuba(happo one) for five nights then four nights in toyko followed by five nights in niseko(annupuri village), acommadation is all sorted , so just have to sort out the logistics , so would appreciate any pointers that will smooth the way . so here goes:

arrive in narita around lunch time but then need to get myself, my good lady and sister to nagano station , have seen that the bullet train is the way to go but not sure how easy it is with luggage and two sets of skis. is there a transfer service from narita to the bullet train station ??

when in hakuba am planning to guide to show me round the area on the first couple of days also to have a look at my powder tecnique ( which is a bit rusty , as we havn't had any powder last year in europe), so any recommendations of instructor/guides would be great.

then need to book return flights from tokyo to niseko( neaarest airport) on an airline that doesn't charge too much for ski carriage . again ideas please..

obviously hoping for copious amounts of powder whilst in niseko, so a good guide will be essential to see the best that the area has to offer. so again any suggestions welcome.

also my wife and sister will only ski a couple of hours a day and love to explore the off slope activities, they are really exited about seeing the snow monkeys whilst in hakuba , and would like to have any other tips for must see's

sorry for all the questions but want to make this a trip to remember, cheers in advance :friend:

using the shink with skis etc is fine, but what you should do is courier your stuff from the airport to your hotel (let the hotel know beforehand that you are doing this). Japan's Courier service is nothing like the Royal Mail, your kit will get there safe and sound the next day (or whenever your specified date is, again check with the courier company to make sure of the dates). Relatively cheap service, should only cost you a few thousand yen to do this and certainly beats dragging your kit through Tokyo and across the country. You can then get a train into either Ueno or Tokyo station and transfer to the Shinkansen line (bullet train) and sit back and enjoy the scenery as you travel to Nagano station. You will need a shuttle bus from nag station into hakuba though, think it takes about 1.5-2hrs transfer. These buses are fairly regular and can be caught right outside nagano station. I think you should be able to get your accommodation to sort out daytrips to the snow monkeys, Matsumoto castle is also recommended as a day trip. Onsens are a must after a day on the slopes, have fun finding out the best.

Getting up to Niseko you'll probably have to get back to Tokyo and leave either Narita or Haneda airport. Skymark airlines and Air-do are pretty cheap airlines who make the Tokyo to Sapporo run, although you may need an agent to book them if you don't have Japanese skils.......they have websites, look them up. From Chitose (Sapporo airport) you'll need another shuttle bus to Niseko, again they are pretty damn regular and getting on one shouldn't be a pain. I'd reccommend you Couriering your gear between Hakuba and Niseko again just so you don't have to drag it all around Tokyo etc.....again, throw off the image of the Royal mail, these boys know what they're doing and your gear will be there for you when you get to Niseko.

Have fun!!

What Tubby said, courier your baggage. Just ask for the Takkyubin kiosk after you get through customs, and be prepared to give them the address & phone number of your lodge in Hakuba. Your stuff will arrive there safe and sound the next morning. Then the lodge can help you send all your ski gear direct up to the lodge in Niseko, and you just carry what you need for a few days in Tokyo. It's fast, cheap, convenient and 99.8% foolproof. I can't remember ever having my gear delayed even for a day.

You can make reservations on the English-language websites of Skymark, ANA & JAL two months before date of travel (don't think air Do has an English reservations site). Best to hit them very early, especially if you plan to fly up to Hokkaido on a saturday, because you'll be competing for cheap tix with half the members here :D .

Good luck, and hope you have a great time.

Or you could book a shuttle taxi (Chuo Taxi) to take you straight from the airport to Hakuba for about the same price as combined train and coach fares.

how long is the entire journey by taxi transfer from narita to happo one ??

how long is the entire journey by taxi transfer from narita to happo one ??

I've never done it but I'd guess around 4 hours. I think it would be quicker than train/bus.

The other option is a SUPER Azusa direct from Tokyo to Hakuba, though there are only a few a day.

150px-Chuo_Main_Line_SuperAzusa_Yatsugatake.jpg

SUPER Azusa - beats the bullet?

Chuo Taxi is more like 6 hours and is shared with other folks going to Nagano.

If you want to hang around Narita until the early evening then there is a direct bus to Hakuba/Nozawa/Shiga, otherwise, Narita Express-Shinkansen-Bus is your best bet to Hakuba

If you want to hang around Narita until the early evening then there is a direct bus to Hakuba/Nozawa/Shiga, otherwise, Narita Express-Shinkansen-Bus is your best bet to Hakuba

Twice used this option (although got a pick up instead of the bus from Nagano-Hakuba) - would do it again in a heartbeat. Worked fine.

If we can do it, all carrying our own kit, with two kids - then it will be a piece of cake for a group of adults.

Can you really pass up the opportunity to ride a shink? And sit back with Ekiben (train bento lunch)? Where else could you experience such delights ;)

Can you really pass up the opportunity to ride a shink?

Yeah, the shink's ok. But, Mamabear, I'm guessing you've never ridden a SUPER Azusa have you?

No. Tripler I have not...

Is it a new option? Is it sexy and exxy? Tell me more.

Just what I need - another new experience to nag at me to get back to Japan :D

Is it a new option? Is it sexy and exxy? Tell me more.

Basically the shink feels like being inside a bullet as it's fired from a gun, right? Hence the term "bullet train". Well, the SUPER Azusa feels like being inside a subatomic particle travelling FASTER than the speed of light. That's why they call it "super".

4635866988_a6c8372c08.jpg

"they don't call it SUPER for nothing"

Twice used this option (although got a pick up instead of the bus from Nagano-Hakuba) - would do it again in a heartbeat. Worked fine.

If we can do it, all carrying our own kit, with two kids - then it will be a piece of cake for a group of adults.

Can you really pass up the opportunity to ride a shink? And sit back with Ekiben (train bento lunch)? Where else could you experience such delights ;)

you eat that crap??

Super Azusa looks like a train that runs from Shinjuku down shonan towards Atami.......I've rode it a few times and its not as fast as the bullet train, it rides on the same rails as regular trains......so while its super...its not bullet! :)

The one time I took the ``Super'' Azusa up to hakuba the train was so badly overheated that I was down to a t-shirt and still sweating the whole way.

It was convenient since at the time I was living in Mitaka (so just Chuo'd to Hachioji to catch it, and reverse on return) but I always opted for the faster Bullet/bus after that.

Wouldn't think it's very convenient for people arriving at Narita, even if the temperature control has been improved.

Thanks for the transportation advice , think I will take the bullet train option and get picked up at Nagano .

Any info on the guiding/instruction options in happo and niseko ???

Also where's the best off piste , side country options at happo-one ????

Scblurlt the transfers through Tokyo Station are a piece of piss to get the Shink. I dragged a 35kg board bag through there several times without drama. Dont worry about using the frieght service to get to Hakuba but use it to send you gear from Hakuba to Niseko, they pick up from your hotel, To get to Tokyo train station from the airport you have the option of the express train or the airport shuttle. Both are easy etc and the bus stops opposite the Shink station. You will need to get the bus up to Hakuba from Nagano which is another hour or so then have your lodge pic you up from the Bus stop.

Chuo Taxi is very convenient but does take a little time but is door to door and they do stop 1/2 way. If it was me I'd go one way each way, probably uising Chuo when you arrive as you are likely to be tired and it will be the less stressful way and all your gear is with you. Walk out of the airport and into the car, out of the car and into your accomadation. BOOK AHEAD. On the way back get up early, get the 1st bus to Nagano and you will be in Tokyo around 10am if I recall correctly.

If it was me Id be cutting a night out of Tokyo and spend it in Kyoto which is a fantastic city. Grab a pushie and ride the back streets etc. Stunning place and EASY to get to on the Shink. Maybe even trying to get to Hiroshima for a day trip. Its worth the effort.

If you want to get some input on your skills the Hakuba Ski and Snowboard school guys are great although not based at Happo One.

Hope this helps.

Ask away mate. Lots of folks here have done lots of trips over and/or live in the places you are going. Get your Shink Rail Pass in Australia before you go. It will save you heaps and is relatively easy to use. In theory you could easily go Hakuba to Hiroshima in a day if you start early. The Peace Park and Museum are the must do's there, not so set on the rest.

Ask away mate. Lots of folks here have done lots of trips over and/or live in the places you are going. Get your Shink Rail Pass in Australia before you go. It will save you heaps and is relatively easy to use. In theory you could easily go Hakuba to Hiroshima in a day if you start early. The Peace Park and Museum are the must do's there, not so set on the rest.

might be a bit more expensive for me , as the flight to sydney(from the uk) to get my ticket in aus could be £££££££$$$$$$$$$$ :sj-lol:

• 1 month later...

Have now sorted out all the logistics of how to get to from and around during our trip to hakuba/toyko/niseko, so am looking for a couple of recommendations for an instructor/guide for a couple of days in hakuba, I am staying in happo-one and would like to find someone to introduce me to the side-country terrian around there ??

Good luck finding any off-piste/side country at Happo - I think there are some off-piste routes down the back but you need to know what you are doing and I don't think you end up anywhere near a lift - perhaps a guide could show you round there. There is a well-used area of side-country coming down from the top heading down the left hand side (looking down the mountain) and bringing you back to the lifts around the Skyline area. Other than that Ive never found much else there and I've been there loads of times. I guess there are other areas there, but you will most likely need somebody to show you. Its a similar story at Goryu/47 and the lifties are bit more strict. Having said that, in the likely event that it does snow, there should be plenty of powder in-resort!

"Gary" cheers for the pointers , but I have realised I will need some guiding to find some good stuff, and so would like to find some recommendations for a suitable local guide . Just would like a day away from the piste to warm up for our second week in niseko.