An item on the evening news patron official patrol on the beaches at Kobe going round and asking people showing tattoos to either cover them up or leave the beach. Sounds rather strange, but I remembered that not-in-the-onset rule. Do lots of onsen still ban them? (Not that it would affect me personally)

they banned smoking on the beach at kugenuma/enoshima last year, not that it did any good. If they threw tattooed people off the beach this year then there'd be no one left! How can they possibly tell people to bugger off from a public place because they have a tattoo.....it doesn't make any sense wakaranai

Originally Posted By: oo
An item on the evening news patron official patrol on the beaches at Kobe going round and asking people showing tattoos to either cover them up or leave the beach. Sounds rather strange, but I remembered that not-in-the-onset rule. Do lots of onsen still ban them? (Not that it would affect me personally)

A fair few onsen still have no tattoo signs, round these parts anyway.

yeah here too, but Onsen are private businesses......the beach is a public place......I just can't see how they could make people get off the beach. Would they call the Police?? Would the Police even respond?? Its madness