• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete might pay to have a search and rescue mission for stinky next year.Thats if the monkey's didnt find him in the summer month's.Good excuse to go back there even if it's not that good. wink

any ideas about the availability of base repairs being done in Shiga?

lent my board to a mate who went to Hotham & the base is now like a railway siding yard tracks going everywhere

I live in Perth so base repairs aren't available here

Yes they do.

We had a delam on a kiddies Burton board that they put back together for us - not a perfect repair, but did the trick.

Are you sure it needs a repair?

I took my newish Burton Troop to Thredbo July last year when it was ALL man made - they opened Kosi near the end of the week, but to advanced riders only. Found out why when we got up there - serious rock hopping. My board looked like that also.

Have given it many waxings (both mainpeak and self done) since, still looks ugly, but rides like a gem. It has taken me to all over Thredbo a number of times, and spent time at Happo, Hakuba47, Iwatake, Cortina and Niseko United - and never had an issue.

A pretty board is a sign it hasn't been pushed wink

Wear your scars with pride. thumbsup

Seemore

Main peak told me they can do Ptex repairs ( so can I ) but not a base grind

Mamabear wouldn't normally worry about a few scratches but this has several that appear to have penetrated the surface so it needs a few Ptex repairs then a base grind

Thanks for everyone's help

Mark

ahh.. it is a bugger that there is no one in Perth able to do it.

When we travel over east or oversea's we really don't want to have to kill time waiting for a snowboard repair, huh?!

What are you riding Snowpony?

Only thing I can suggest is purchasing another stick for the quiver and taking both, getting the damaged one repaired while you ride the other. Just make sure you get a different style board so you can keep them both biggrin

While both of mine are different lengths, they are the same camber, so I am trying to shed the shorter board at the moment. If they were a bit more different I would keep it.

Hi Mamabear

Being half a world away from the snow is the biggest bugger

2010 Libtech Skunk ape 161

I like the way you think

I have actually been looking at the new Libtech's that have been released for awhile & since the board came back a week ago looking like it's been through a grater and attacked with a claw hammer I'm leaning towards a new board

http://www.lib-tech.com/snowboards/skunk-apes/

one of these would do me fine

cheers

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Yeah, and I'm pretty sure I know who wrote them as well. And they were not guests of the hotel.

Personally I wouldn't believe A SINGLE WORD of what I read there when it comes to any place in Niseko, Hakuba, Nozawa and Shiga Kogen.

Anyway, believe what you want. I had a fun time when I was there. Thats all.

There is a quite a bit of junk on Trip Advisor, but its not that difficult to filter much of it out.

A review from someone with say fifteen reviews and helpful votes on one or more of them is probably going to be describing an actual experience for the benefit of others. Despite all the w@nkers, there are plenty of helpful folks in the world.

A hotel with many glowing reviews in a short space of time from users with no other reviews and no helpful votes or four long paragraphs of melodrama about Hotel X from someone who can't be bothered to write anything or anything like as much about somewhere else at another time, well, do you need to be told.

Ooh, no need for sarcasm now.

Anyway, my favourite ones are the "Best Place to stay in xxx!" from people who admit to going somewhere once. I don't think you need to be particularly "clever" or "investigative" to spot the problem there. lol

No you don't, do you. Obviously. Well done in giving an extreme example.

But you need to be with many more generally elusive 'reviews', of which there are many. And when there are generally not that many reviews of places in Japan anyway, it makes it very difficult to get a clear and honest message.

I know of a number of hotels in Hakuba and Shiga Kogen and Nozawa that have only a handful of reviews each and I know for a fact that most or all are not proper legic reviews.

A system like that only starts to work when there are many reviews and/or when people can only review when they have actually reserved and been.

Mamabear

this is my sixth year in a row traveling to Japan after doing a few trips into Canada & the states

I've been a whore both for powder & gear for a few years now & I know it will continue for the rest of my life, I got the bug in 1992 on a trip to the States, some say I'm a little obsessed about it. like the rest of people on here I suspect

cheers

Originally Posted By: snowpony
some say I'm a little obsessed about it. like the rest of people on here I suspect

Ya think?! LOL

FYI my fellow Perthite - there is a little known newly formed ski club in Western Australia of which I am a member.

WASTED - Western Australian Ski Tragics Enjoying Downhill

And yes...I am serious.
Semi regular social events for like minded people if you are interested in meeting a few other Perth people as obsessed as you are. There is nothing better than that feeling of being in a room of people who understand your compulsions wink

LOL

I'm not saying there is no fakery on TA, simply that a lot of it is easy to spot. Look at how few of the false glowing ones even talk about the rooms and their specifics. I guess what you're getting at with "elusive". Instead they talk about the staff as if they are their new best mates.

For people unused to Japan, most folks running accommodation in Japan are nice, helpful people. They will tell you about their town, get you discount lift tickets and rental gear (that deliver regardless of where you stay), run you to the station, etc. Some 7000 yen a night per head midweek with two good meals pensions/minshukus give great service. Don't think that you have to pay big for it.