In the newspaper today that if output of nuclear plants is not increased before December, of which there is a good chance, we will be facing power shortages over winter as well.

Wonder how that would affect skijo? Perhaps forced to have a shorter day, close some lifts, cancel nighta....

Actually, was just talking about this last night with a friend who knows some Ishiuchi Maruyama workers. The worry is that they won't be able to do nighta... which is a big deal for Maruyama as it is one of their big things.

Bit of a worry all round, I'd say.

I can see nighters being a problem. On the other hand, one thing going for ski areas, I should think, is they do most of their business on the weekends when grid load is lower, and on weekdays they often don't run all their lifts anyway. Maybe there will be a trend towards shutting down completely on weekdays?

May well be like that Metabo.

Problem is they will be wanting to plan this but may not be having the info to do that effectively until later on and nearer the season.

Skijo can only guess what the situation is going to be right now. I know my friend who works in the offcie at the Zao resort though they are thinking it through in case they can't do nighta / need to cut back at night or even during the day.

Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
I can see nighters being a problem. On the other hand, one thing going for ski areas, I should think, is they do most of their business on the weekends when grid load is lower, and on weekdays they often don't run all their lifts anyway. Maybe there will be a trend towards shutting down completely on weekdays?

Agree with this.
A fair few lifts get rested anyway weekdays, it might not male such a huge difference other than nighta. Some places that used to do nighta don't do that eiter in recent years.

I was at a meeting in Zao last week and I think the electricity is not the main worry. The main worry is... will people actually come next season? Lots of worried folk.

Regardless of any radiation related problems or image problems, a fair few companies are on go slow or have ended up with supply bottlenecks due to the disaster. That means casual staff get laid off and regular staff get lower or no bonuses. Domestic travel is common answer when people get asked how they'll spend their bonus.