Ticket prices - peak and off-peak

Last weekend I had the task of buying some train tickets for summer. Going to be going down to London and needed to buy 2 returns from Liverpool to Euston.

I was just amazed at the pricing of tickets. Every single train in a day has a different price. The most expensive one was over 5 times more expensive than the cheapest one.

I ended up getting return for 2 for a very reasonable 110 quid (about 15,000 yen) but just changing the times I departed by 30 minutes each way and the cost for the same route would have been 250 quid!!

Change the times a bit more and the cost came to well over 700 quid! Madness.

Japan trains are the same price whatever time of day, right?

I can understand the peak and off peak thing (hotels do it hear right?) but the variations there is extreme. Didn't always used to be like that did it?

Used to be able to buy an Apex Fare for the train down to London from Dundee, it cost us 30 quid return, but we had to book 2 weeks in advance (not a problem). Dunnno if they still do that though. The price of a train ticket, if you just rock up to the station is mental! Its often the price of a flight to spain!!

Yes top tip - never go buy a ticket directly from the train station when you travel. It's mad expensive. As TB said, the whole thing is mental. You can literally pay 4-5 times more for exactly the same train journey by going on one train earlier than another.