Sadly he passed away.

Don't usually do the old RIP thing.

But Columbo was just so excellent.

Repeat watchings? No problem.

Must have seen each one at least a few times.

One of the best tv shows.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumm ass comments.

Colombo IS fake.

What, you reckon he (Falk)walks around town being Colombo?

You look at Peter Falk and reckon he is Colombo because it´s imprinted in your brain?

Voice actors can be better than the original. Problem is, that the individual (actor) is so much more important(?) with his own voice(!?). - to most of us.

We are interested in the actor more than the role (which is shitty imo).

But - Colombo is the only exception that happened in a Japanese voice over!

Deary me here we go.

How can the actor who created (for all intents and purposes) the character, and was the only actor to actually play the character, be fake? confused

Quote:
What, you reckon he (Falk) walks around town being Colombo?

confused

Quote:
You look at Peter Falk and reckon he is Colombo because it´s imprinted in your brain?

Er, no. I reckon he was Columbo because.... well, he was the actor who always played Columbo and defined Columbo.

FFS, Jynxx, get a life!

I KNOW that Colombo was a figment if imagination ... but the whole concept of Colombo being better with a voice-over is so ridiculous as to be insane!

The original is almost always (and in this case definitely) better than any imitation. The voice made the character more "human" and "real", as opposed to having someone with a perfect voice doing the script.

I know, I'm a Boring Old Fart ... I still cannot get the concept of a cartoon being "real" - as in Bart Simpson or American Guy - they are drawings! And Bart doesn't "say" anything, it is the voice actor - who is NOT the star. :/rant:

JA, gotta say eating olives does keep your brain lubricated.

You are getting the point I´m at.

Looking at Peter Falk as a Colombo image, with his shabby rain coat, driving a bomb albeit a classic car, etc, etc... it´s just an image created, no different to a cartoon charactor.

If you are an actor and a particular role sticks to you too much, I reckon it is tragic as an actor ... most audience brainwashed would not see him in a new role. Sorry. I side track but it has a point.

Going back to the image, take that Colombo image and find someone who can make that image character better. Not easy!

I am just pointing out that (as a Jap-Eng bilingual) the Japanese voice over by Koike Asao (and the brilliant Translation by Nukada Saeko : Uch no kamisan ga ne ...) gave more depth and developed the character further than Falk´s own voice.

There is no way , Jim Carry or Robyn Williams will ever have a better voice over. Probably Colombo is the ONLY exception

out of all voice overs... but then again, there are really shitty actors that´s better off with one wink

I´ll tell you an interesting story.

When the Japanese voice over actor (Koike Asao) died, (and the original translater changed)

they had a hell of a time replacing Koike´s Colombo.

They - as in the next guy doing the voice over. Colombo´s image was so cemented by Koike´s voice and character developed by him and the translator, it was a hard act to follow.

My point. Colombo is Peter Falk and Koike to me (and probably most English speaking Japanese would agree with, I hope)

I would rather watch it in Japanese.

I was only watching a Columbo on Friday night.

In English with that fake Falk guy parading around as if he owned the part! wink

It was a good one too, with Mr Spock being a baddie.

Quincy was ace......a world class Medical Examiner, who by some freak of nature (and city bureaucracy) was a fantastic detective as well!! How he found the time to pick up chicks half his age was beyond me!