My legs hurt a lot less this year after snowboarding. It's not a fitness thing, since my non-snow activity level both hiking and MTB riding haven't changed. I think the two things that have made my legs more comfortable have been:

1) buying a powder-specific board for deep days (no back-leg burn!)

2) adopting a more even duck stance (more natural leg position reduces strain on the knees)

Anyone else have any observations?

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
My legs hurt a lot less this year after snowboarding. It's not a fitness thing, since my non-snow activity level both hiking and MTB riding haven't changed. I think the two things that have made my legs more comfortable have been:

2) adopting a more even duck stance (more natural leg position reduces strain on the knees)

I think he's talking about boarding wink

Ezo, do tell which powder board you are riding! smile

I think generally taking it easy and not pushing the limits makes it easy for your legs.

I find changing the duck stance angle frequently loosens up my joints and makes me more relaxed.

Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
Originally Posted By: Ezorisu

I think he's talking about boarding wink

It's fine. He did ask a valid question. It's post-activity pain - like you board/ski all weekend and on Monday, are your knees swollen to heck and you can't get up from your seat without clawing at things with your arms?

It's a darned good board. The "MagneTraction Lite" 3-point wavy edges actually made it useable on icy runs. Between the Hovercraft and the Flagship, I'd lean toward the Hovercraft if you were looking for a powder board that doesn't suck on groomers, but I'd lean toward the Flagship if you wanted something more all-around with more stiffness/pop. It took a few sessions to get used to the mid-wide shape of the Hovercraft, but I don't really notice it now.

the Hovercraft only goes up to 157 though....right? I started off on a 157 but I now plump for a 162, minimum. Do you think that the Hovercraft is ok for slightly bigger riders? I love the shape of it, my local shop always stocks them and I'm sorely tempted to grab one, but the size kinda puts me off

The 2012 Hovercraft will come in 160 as well. The impression that I've gotten is that it runs shorter compared to other boards. But still, I feel ya on the length thing. I'm trying to decide between Flagship 168W or Hovercraft 160. 8cms is a big diff!

I've heard that Jones Snowboards are pretty responsive if you ping them on their FB page, so maybe it's worth asking them if the 160 would work for you.

I´m feeling a bit of pain in my neck these days. Coming from all the falls I had in the past seasons. Today I felt like it is like whip lash - doing a cartwheel when my nose dug in, snowboardin´powder.

Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
the Hovercraft only goes up to 157 though....right? I started off on a 157 but I now plump for a 162, minimum. Do you think that the Hovercraft is ok for slightly bigger riders? I love the shape of it, my local shop always stocks them and I'm sorely tempted to grab one, but the size kinda puts me off

The first year out, there was only the one size. This coming season there are two. Just how plump are you? I'm probably about 90kg all kitted up with fully loaded pack and the 156 was more than floaty enough for me. I like how it gives the floatation of a conventionally shaped 162+ in a quicker-turning package - makes tight trees even more fun.
Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
I've heard that Jones Snowboards are pretty responsive if you ping them on their FB page, so maybe it's worth asking them if the 160 would work for you.

Very responsive. I emailed them a few times with questions before I bought my board and they responded promptly. Made it even better that their answers were not elusive, but instead were direct and to the point. It turns me off when the company reps just regurgitate what the online catalogue says or give some other corporate non-answer.
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I´m feeling a bit of pain in my neck these days. Coming from all the falls I had in the past seasons. Today I felt like it is like whip lash - doing a cartwheel when my nose dug in, snowboardin´powder.

I have back pain beneath the scapulae and one chronically sore shoulder from repeated separations. Impact damage is cumulative!

I posted on Jones Snowboards FB: "Leaning heavily towards picking up a Jones board this next season. I've narrowed it down to either a Flagship 168W or Hovercraft 160. Could anyone advise me about which would work better for a guy my size? 6ft 5in, 220, size 14 boot.

Cheers."

They replied: "Hard call James. The both work well in everything but if I could only pick one board it would be a Flagship. It is the most versatile snowboard I have ever ridden. Hope that helps. Jeremy"

Direct reply from Jeremy? biggrin