How good do you have to be before you can really BC?

I did some pretty tame BC after 13 days or so. Then some more steeper stuff after 25 days.

I suspect that you could have boarded for 8 years and be an expert, but if you dont know all teh avie stuff etc etc, you are not good enough to go BC? I dunno. I really have not gone anywhere near real BC, but i am gunna.

BC doesn't necessarily mean steep so skill level may not be as important though I'd think the ability to maintain some speed might keep someone from getting stuck

I haven't gone real bc yet but it seems to me that one of the most important things is fitness. I've been stuck in some pretty deep snow at Hachimantai and Hakkoda that WAS NOT back country, and I felt every damn year of my 42 year old age. I'd imagine bc trips will take you into places you'll have to walk out of, so if you're not fit, it might not be very enjoyable.

If you're 18 years old though, the fitness thing doesn't apply.

Equipment too - I think next year I'll try the BC stuff but first I'm gonna get a pair of snow shoes and a small shovel too...

Your boarding skills are not the most important thing. You need to be able to acurately asess your own ability so you dont end up on something too big for you. You also need to navigate, know about snow conditionsand the weather. Be prepared for emergencies and plan trips carefully. Fitness is also super important.

Finally, a real justification for ducking ropes, well.. sort of anyway.

Green, I reckon before you even consider going BC, you should develop you powder skills by scooting along the edges of the groomers, then, as your skills develop start cutting corners between the runs, maybe in and out of the trees at the edge of the courses, progressing eventually to ducking ropes so you can practice tree avoidance and powder riding skills but still within the general confines of the resort - in a worst case situation, help is not too far away.

I wouldn't consider heading into the BC without being very comfortable on varying, ungroomed, tree filled slopes. Once you have the skills, and it need not take that long, then do the courses and get the gear, etc to do BC properly and safely.

My first time ever on teles was BC, and the second, er... and the third! Learning with a 25kg pack was more a case of learning turtle self rescue technique than zipping through the powder!

As mentioned above, BC is a broad term. If your just going there to get some turns and enjoy the downhill, get to a level where you can at least go down an intermediate grade on the gelende. If you want an adventure, you're mountain skills/awareness are the issue.