All the money given to charity for Japan....

Before you call that a ``bad thing'' take a google map street view of Shiba Daimon 1-1-3. Pretty nice digs. Japan Red Cross -- doing well out of doing good (and the American Red Cross does itself even prouder).

Originally Posted By: DiGriz
Before you call that a ``bad thing'' take a google map street view of Shiba Daimon 1-1-3. Pretty nice digs. Japan Red Cross -- doing well out of doing good (and the American Red Cross does itself even prouder).

Ah someone needs to come down on this type of stuff. I hate seeing people profit out of such dire circumstances for some people.

A shed?

Not a bad idea, certainly preferable to the $$$$ RENOVATION to the ARC president's office that finally got exposed some years back, after which it was revealed that ARC was spending most of the funds raised on -- wait for it....fund raising!

Docs Without Borders and/or the Salvation Army, yes, but not a friggin nickel to the red cross.

Clearly it takes money to operate charities - but it leaves a rather awful taste in ones mouth when liberties are taken and money wasted.

Makes you feel like taking a drive/jumping on a plane and handing what you can give directly to the people who need it - you KNOW they are going to make that dollar/yen/peso work for them.

I remember reading a similar thing about Oxfam in the UK. Most of the donations sit in Oxfam's bank accounts and take forever to be distributed, often not to the cause that you thought you were donating to

To be fair, I'm sure there are a lot of very wonderful people who donate time, goods, labor, etc. to the big charity organizations, and who accomplish a lot on behalf of the victims of natural or man-made disasters. In fact, I met just one such on my return flight from the U.S. last week -- signed up for a month of volunteer work clearing debris and repairing/rebuilding homes up in Tohoku. Brought his own supplies and a trunk full of equipment; paid his own way. I felt very humbled by comparison.

It's the charity bureaucrats that I can't stand, the one who sit in plush offices planning new ways to tap ordinary people's wallets, but never contribute in any meaningful way themselves.

What a shame there wasn't an outcry over the lack of integrity of the Japan Red Cross before everyone gave so much money.

confused

You really should have shouted up earlier.