The pussy gaijins who 'escaped'...

A mate of mines has not only came back but jumped right into the middle of it and moved to sendai!! He surprised everyone because he was freaking out with the shaking and the radiation and of course the big wave that washed half of Tohoku away, that we all thought if he ever came back he'd head west....nope, decided to go and work up in Sendai!!

Sounds like a bit of a nut job ^^

We had one guy (French) do a runner on the weds after the quake. He came back last weekend. No-one said anything about it but I believe everyone is thinking the same thing.

He said that once he made up his mind to come back to Japan, he wanted to go and help........so he got a gig teaching in a JHS/SHS but he's also been asked to do classes at the childrens hospital as well

Yeah Soubs, he says that it wuld've been beautiful place to live pre-march 11th. Near to the station its quite easy to forget that a serious disaster has occurred. He says that theres plenty of the city untouched and its all spread out and open, nice parks etc then as you start making your way down towards the coast the devastation starts to encroach street by street.

Muika, I've heard on the grapevine that a lot of big ALT companies are offering extra money and enhanced salaries for teachers to go up and work there as most have buggered off and they are struggling to fill positions.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
They're also unlikely to have a big earthquake anytime soon. It seems sensible to me.

Good point and sounds like common sense.

Then again, I thought that about this area until we had the Chuetsu Oki jishin in 2007.
Then the north Nagano one in March this year.
All rocking pretty much the same region, the bastards!

Yes, Niigata and offshore tectonics are horribly complicated. You have my sympathy. The only upside is (from memory) the faulting around Niigata is mostly strike-slip, and doesn't build up the strain like the subduction off Miyagi. More smaller earthquakes may not seem like much compensation though.

I know one who left and came back, and one who left for good, but who had been looking to leave anyway. Heard of others who left for good, leaving their former employer and co-workers short-handed. But all short-termers who had been here on a lark anyway, I think. Don't know of any long-termers who left.

I heard a few of the AETs locally here ran away. I think the situation was just overwhelming for them, couldn't speak much Japanese and were alone etc. I can understand being scared by it all.