I had an awesome time yesterday. It was only my 3rd time out here in Japan, and I missed all the good stuff earlier in the season, so this weeks dump made it great.

The wife and I made a plan Thursday night to head up to Naeba. We reserved a rental room (weekends Y10000) because we have a 10 month old. I took the morning shift on the mountain, she took the afternoon. Actually, she had her first lesson & first time on a snowboard! (and she loved it...bonus!!)

The rental room had a shower, bed, tv...almost like a small cheap hotel room. (In the future we will just reserve a hotel). Just what we needed though, having a 10 month old w/us.

Moving on...it was snowing upon arrival to the mountain. There was so much untouched snow...it was great to see. I really wish I had more time so that I could hit up Kagura, but I wanted the wife to get some time out. (yeah, I'm an AWESOME husband, lol!)

I have no major complaints about Naeba. It wasn't too busy, the only long lines were at the Gondola, and that was maybe a 5 minute wait (this was in the AM). First I took a lift up just to get a quick run in...on the way up I looked down at the skiers & snowboarder...and heard nothing. Powder smile

Made my way up to the top after my first run. Soooo much fresh snow! Again not crowded, so that was a plus. Here's a problem I have - there was alot of nice untouched powder that was roped off unecessarily. I ducked a few ropes, but nothing to extreme. Seemed like a waste of good snow to me, but hey, I'm just a boarder, not the staff, lol. They played music there as well, which seemed unecessary also.

I didn't have time to check out much of the Big Air comp that was going on there. I had a nap in the afternoon, which seemed more important, haha. I did check out a few jumps, seemed pretty cool to see in person. Red Bull sponsored it, I didn't see and adverts for it though.

I don't know what else I can say...just seem to keep rambling on and on, haha. All I know is yesterday was awesome, not only b/c of the fresh snow, but b/c the wife had a great time as well. Looking forward to more mountain trips w/the fam! And now for me to stop talking and get on with the pics....unless you guys want me to keep talking...? lol

Road to Naeba

norcal_24.JPG

Our GPS gave us the wrong route. "Do you think that was our turn.....?" *bing* 're-routing'

norcal_25.JPG

norcal_38.JPG

I don't know if it was b/c I was soooo hungry, but this place at the end of Gondola 1 had an awesome Nikuman smile

norcal_26.JPG

The lift in the background goes to the top.

norcal_27.JPG

norcal_28.JPG

Downhill course, just under Gondola 2

norcal_29.JPG

norcal_30.JPG

norcal_31.JPG

Another view of the lift for the top. I think this was from the end of Gondola 1

norcal_32.JPG

norcal_33.JPG

Top of the world...or just the mountain

norcal_34.JPG

norcal_35.JPG

norcal_37.JPG

BOOOOO!!!

norcal_36.JPG

Final thoughts: Would I go back? Yes. Would stay in a hotel though for sure. I still plan on checking out other places, but Naeba is a good place for beginner to advanced people in my opinion. (I'm in between the two smile )

Looks good norcal, great to hear about the good conditions.

thumbsup

Did you see the area in the lower central area that had an avalance recently?

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/402431/Snow_slide_at_Naeba.html

Might explain the roped off untouched areas you mentioned, though I don't know which parts you are meaning there of course. They seem to have made a good call on the above.

I remember looking at that thread, forgot that was naeba. You can't even tell there was a slide. I can see why they would want to be more cautious then.

Nice photos thanks.

Quote:
It wasn't too busy, the only long lines were at the Gondola, and that was maybe a 5 minute wait

Oh how things have changed!!

Time was weekend you'd wait well over 30 minutes just for a pair lift there.