The top lift at Kijimadaira (25 mins drive from Nozawa Onsen) is only open on weekends. It covers over half the vertical and all the steep terrain. With two lower lifts going to the same place, it's hard to understand why they close the one to the peak.

So not worth visiting weekdays.

I had a little look at the Kijimadaira website and its in what you might call some small print. The lift isn't labeled as conditional on the trail map.

Happo don't seem to be running the main Kurobishi lift during the week, but at least you can walk over from the top of Usagi and hit the same terrain.

Judging from the numbers of skiers/snowboarders going on weekdays, most places simply cannot afford opening all the lifts. Also, Kijimadaira is more family oriented, as well as having many school groups during the week. I will post a formal review in the next day or so. There were powder stashes galore there, no poaching necessary, right next to the groomers.

Originally Posted By: dyna8800
Judging from the numbers of skiers/snowboarders going on weekdays, most places simply cannot afford opening all the lifts.

But they have 2 lower lifts open, a quad and a pair, which literally go from and to the same place. The lift to the peak I think is a 3 man (maybe a pair), so they've not saved any manpower costs. It's just stupid.

Admittedly at the moment it would be a long icy steep run. But to have it closed on a powder day would be a tragedy.

tripler, I was there on a weekday, when there was about a foot of new pow, so I feel your pain. I almost hiked up...

In no way am I saying that it is good that it is closed, but I understand their reasons. But it also makes me rethink going there if all the best stuff is going to be closed. Kijimadaira went from a "must go" resort to a "well, maybe only on a weekend" type of place. It also is pretty small, so without that one other lift going, one could see all the terrain in just a morning.

Quote:
But they have 2 lower lifts open, a quad and a pair, which literally go from and to the same place.

Well, actually they don't do that at all, do they.

Other than the top lift, the only other lift not moving is the No 2 pair on the left side.

It sucks that the top lift doesn't move weekdays, but let's not make stuff up for the drama.

Just to be clear, here's the course map.
Which lifts are you claiming go from and to the same place?

maps.jpg

ok, I forgot the pair is actually 2 lifts: I and F. I pair starts from exactly the same spot as D quad. And its sister lift, F pair, arrives about 100 meters from D quad. They do service the same terrain. So they're actually running 2 unnecessary lifts at the cost of 1 essential one. A good example of Japanese logic...

Another thing that made me laugh was F pair stops for lunch from 12pm to 1pm! Jesus Christ, Kijimadaira, are you running a ski resort or a donkey sanctuary?

Originally Posted By: dyna8800
Kijimadaira went from a "must go" resort to a "well, maybe only on a weekend" type of place.

Really? Why? I have never heard of this place before, does it have some claim to fame that people want to go? I'm not arguing, just interested in why, it looks pretty small to me and I probably wouldn't pick it for a trip TBH

Tubby Beaver, will have a review posted next week or so.

That lunchtime break cracks me up.

I had some good homemade bread at the restaurant/lodge Panis at the bottom of that lift for lunch.

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
They probably heard that tripler was going.

I did consider storming back down to the ticket office and demanding a refund. But then I remembered, this is Japan. Incompetence must be embraced with a smile.

Another Kijima warning - DO NOT eat at Milky May, a place on the right going up I pair, their food is shite (even when paying for it with a voucher included in the lift ticket price). Pizza set was disgusting, coffee tasted bad. I tried a bit of tuna cream pasta, it wasn't much better. To cap it all, they thought it acceptable to do a spot of carpentry with an electric drill and circular saw 3 feet from my table as I ate lunch.

A place a few buildings up the hill looked nice when I went in to use the toilet. I don't want to bag Kijimadaira too much - I will be going back on a weekend, if it ever snows again this season. It is a quite a cool little resort.

Maybe they are the ones that should be running buses from Nozawa. It must be closer than those other ones that do. More and more o/s folks in Nozawa every year now, and more choice is always good for folks staying longer.

Originally Posted By: tripler
Another thing that made me laugh was F pair stops for lunch from 12pm to 1pm! Jesus Christ, Kijimadaira, are you running a ski resort or a donkey sanctuary?

Shouldn't bother you if the other lift services the same area hey wink