Having won a couple of tickets for Marnuma Kogen from Snow Japan ( thumbsup ), I finally made it up there to use them. We took my mate's 5yr old son up for his first snowbaording experience. Having the wee lad with us, it wasn't a mental early start, we left Shonan about 5.30am....still giving us plenty time to get some turns in on the mountain. It should take about 3.5 to 4hrs tops to get there.........but we didn't consider the Kan-Etsu factor!!! omg I hate this road!! It was JAMMED, what should've been an easy 4 hr drive turned into a 6 hour nightmare meaning we didn't get there till about 11.30am!!! At least the sun was shining. It was actually a beautiful day and I couldn't help think that it was a great start to the wee man's snowboarding life....

Tubby%20Beaver_135.JPG

Tubby%20Beaver_137.JPG

Tubby%20Beaver_139.JPG

Tubby%20Beaver_140.JPG

Tubby%20Beaver_142.JPG

Tubby%20Beaver_146.JPG

Tubby%20Beaver_152.JPG

Tubby%20Beaver_147.JPG

Tubby%20Beaver_151.JPG

The weather was beautiful and it felt quite warm, but I guess that fact that this resort is between 1300 and 2000 metres above sea level means that the snow stays in decent condition. That said, although it was still soft, there were some scraped bits that really worked your edge control at random times. Paul's young lad took a 2 hour lesson and then it was up the hill for his sink or swim time......he ragged it!! smile

Tubby%20Beaver_154.JPG

straightlining past me like it was the most natural thing in the world!

Tubby%20Beaver_155.JPG

then brought back down to earth with a scorpion!

Tubby%20Beaver_153.JPG

at the end of the day the sunset was spectacular and bathed the snow in a pink light

Tubby%20Beaver_157.JPG

although my crappy camera skills didn't quite seem to catch the brilliant pink light off the snow

Tubby%20Beaver_158.JPG

all in all, after a nightmare start to the day, we had a ball. Conditions weren't the best as snow quality goes but they weren't that bad either (snow snobbery again!!) and it was a beautiful day of sunshine that also was a boys first steps into snowboarding. Think I was as much stoked for the wee man as his dad was!! lol Marunuma definitey has some interesting terrain and looks to be a good place to hit when the snow hits. Happy I finally made it up there, so a hearty thanks to people at SJ and Marunuma Kogen for giving me the tickets!

There was an "accident", when we passed the actuall scene it involved 2 cars, one appeared to have shunted into the back of the other and there was a tiny dent in the back of the car, but with the cops being there all the other motorists were crawling past at snail speed and this just caused an uber tail back.....it took 2 hours to get from Nerima to Maebashi! omg

last lifts are 4.30pm so we rode until then. Yeah we went by car, it was a cheap day out, if I had paid to go by bus I would've been mad but since the tickets were free and it was only tolls and petrol......I didn't care as much

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
yeah Stem, he was out like a light!! Woke up once at a roadway stop to chomp on a chocolate covered banana and then was back to sleep again.

lol
Nice report.
I hope to get there one day soon I like the look of some of the resorts around that northern Gunma area.