OK so went to Hakuba. Cloudy and grey conditions really with the snow moving in too. Had fun, really want to go with clearer conditions though to see it all. Up top there I could hardly see where I was going and for a moment or two 'fun' was not the word. Tons of unexpected moguls to negotiate without being able to see thenm!

Here are some photos, really rubbish I know but I thought I would join in and share.

-------

The signs in Wadanonomori. Hard to miss them really, all over the place. All in English as far as I could tell. Guess what... saw people skiing and snowboarding on the road.

JellyBelly_32.JPG

Looking down to Hakuba

JellyBelly_16.JPG

JellyBelly_15.JPG

JellyBelly_31.JPG

JellyBelly_30.JPG

JellyBelly_29.JPG

JellyBelly_27.JPG

Cheese Tara rides the top lift. More from him in the Cheese at Resorts thread.

JellyBelly_26.JPG

JellyBelly_25.JPG

JellyBelly_24.JPG

JellyBelly_22.JPG

JellyBelly_21.JPG

JellyBelly_20.JPG

Looking over to Hakuba 47 from Happo.

JellyBelly_18.JPG

Hey dude.

Fantastic pics! Is that peak accessible?

I'll be at Happo in a few days from Niseko. Staying at a lodge at the bottom of one of the Sakko lifts I believe.

Any areas you recommend? Looking for more or a free ride feel to it. Open faces or tree lines, maybe some drops.

Cheers!

Not too much of Happo One has an "open" feel to it. The Skyline run maybe some others. A lot of Happo One is moguls as you have probably read already.

the shuttle buses stop at the Happo Gondola and go to most resort areas. My only advise is not to stay your whole trip at Happo One. Try Hakuba 47 and Iwatake. I am told that Cortina has some nice tree skiing. I have not been there, but I am sure others can assist.

Have fun

Jelly Belly love your pics, a couple look like Muiks. Dave there are quite a few runs in Happo that are through the trees but it is NOT like Niseko where there are gates you hike out of. Completely different set up. Its steeper too, if that's important to you. Make sure you do get to the other resorts. 47 on a big dump is good. If you go to Iwatake be very careful you dont drop into the middle valley as there isnt a cat track etc out! As stated above they love a mogul field in Happo smile

Cheers for the info guys.

I'm there for a month, so I'm planning to attempt to hit most of the hills in that area, even if it's just for a day.

I've heard they're quite a bit stricter about off-piste/side country access than Niseko is, is there much weight to that?

Originally Posted By: DaveSnow
Cheers for the info guys.

I'm there for a month, so I'm planning to attempt to hit most of the hills in that area, even if it's just for a day.

I've heard they're quite a bit stricter about off-piste/side country access than Niseko is, is there much weight to that?

Hey Dave,

Don't know if they're "stricter" but the handfull of Hakuba resorts are built on a very big, long range of mountains and once you cross the line you're really out of bounds - not like Niseko, with it's relatively controlled sidecountry stuff. So you have to know what you're doing and where you're going. You can meet people while you're there or you can join a guided tour with "Evergreen" or something like that.

And you commented on that one peak in the picture. A fine looking peak, it is, but it's just a drop in the bucket.