• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So yeah on topic...

I can't speak for skis. Hate them actually. But it depends what grade the slope is and what the powder/pack is conditioned like. In some spots i can flat run fine...what keeps me going on my flatrun is when i see terrain, i get down low and loosen my knees a little bit.

For me, its about knowing your board. Knowing the sweetspot for my carve gives me the greatest confidence, because in a flat run, if your carve angle is reached, and you're going fast, you're stopping...one way or another.

That and my breaking benjamin playlist makes me unstoppable.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Originally Posted By: call me Sir Mr!
Hi, can I ask how are they faster skiers if you are keeping up with them, doesnt that make them not slower,not faster but the same as you?

I like turning and find serious fast to be a consequence of not doing enough
turning that is!

I used to ski and it´s much more easier to go fast on skis.
You can flat run (not getting on the edge) on skies easier (without getting scared) All because - you guessed it right, you have two planks, two effective edges, widen stance for stability, step out to stop a fall - skiing is easy.
I cannot over take fast skiers. I cannot go faster than myself on skis. And I am not on hardboots.

Thankyou I now see where you were headed.

If sking is easy I am pleased this means you can get to the fun bits quicker. I havent snow boarded but I would agree general sentiment it is easier to get to a proficient level of sking quicker. But would say from my surfing/skateboarding days a side on stance is much more solid and less intimadating at speed down hill, and one plank can only head in one direction from experience with two when it gets ugly they tend to go in different directions which for us mere mortals is complicated to address quickly at speed in my opinion! perhaps my brains slower and I should just use one plank.

Sir My, What was a bit strange on a snowboard first time was that my foot was bolted onto the board. That psycological aspect. I´m stuck with that foot position. So I took a lot of attention finding out which foot angle I like while I was falling a lot. I like my stance width wide so that was sorted quite quickly. The rental board I had for the first 2 days had these bindings on which was easy to change foot angles.

I think that the curving skis we have now have made skiing so much more easier to get to doing the fun stuff - sliding with skis parallel. This was considered an achievement in the old days.

But generally speaking, whether on old skool or new skool skies, you don´t fall that much learning on skis in the beginning.

As to your comment on side on stance, when I ski and I´m on a 45 degree slope, I am leaning so much into the fall line I cannot feel my sole of my foot, only my shin and topside of my feet dragging my boots and the ball of my big toe.

It looks like I´m going down a vertical wall. Since I am more used to that, I am still adjusting to a snowboard by throwing my whole body sideways. There is no problems with the board criss-crossing. That´s another psycological thing. When you think, it´s more likely to happen.

With snowboarding, I fell a lot. Bruised myself heaps. I thought "this is going to take ages" but the learning curve was quicker than I thought. Powder is a different game IMO. I have to say that I love the feeling on snowboard in Pow.