If you're scared, your body is going stiffen up and make crashing more inevitable. On a snowboard, this is more far likely going to end up with you sitting down than faceplant.

Maybe try straight-lining down a wide beginner run for as long as you can go before feeling the urge to slow down. Or seeing how many ollie jumps you can do in a straight line on the same course before you need to scrub some speed. Obviously watch out for other people and do not do this or any other exercise on forest runs. Practicing small jumps is also good. Learning to land jumps=learning to be balanced and to conquer fear. Hit a jump with your weight back in fear mode, and you wont land it.

Maybe get your board tuned too. Sharp edges stop faster so you can have more confidence in them.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: seemore
No Pete

Or it would have shown me colliding with you then sliding 50M on my back head first down the hill smile

Seemore

shame. would have made a GREAT upload.
Having said that a persons private shame on the mountain should be just that - shamefully private. I say that with great passion seeing as a go-pro wearing forum friend managed to be 'rolling' camera just as I feebly squeaked "argh...I'm gonna hit that tree' and then did, in what was the silliest of situations.
He took great delight in telling me he got it all on camera. I took great delight when he realised his lens was fogged up wink

Mr. Wiggles, doing Ollies when it´s fast IS Scary ! lol

That´s a bit of a different game.

I can handle going off small bumps when bombing and avoiding big ones, but intentional ollie ... maybe I practise that.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx

I think you can go longer. 162, 163
I´m sure you wanna float on Pow.
If you are not riding switch or hitting things you might wanna try directional tapered (pin tail) boards.
Also these boards have a 1 degree edge bevel that is better on the mountain (ice and stuff) compared to freestyle boards 2~3 degrees which is buttery, catch-less on rails, etc.
I´m not a big pusher on new tech, but the feel thst you can get from boards make a BIG difference on you.
Your problem and joy is finding that stick you like, haha

What R U riding now?

my board is lamar diablo 157,,, stance width? i put both bindings on the widest setting, last inserts on both nose and tail,, feel a bit uncomfy though,, probably gonna change it later,,

next time i buy new board, ill buy bigger ones! thx man!!

anyway thank u 4 all the snow bros!!

hope i can hit the slopes high speed next week hehehe!!

Its ollies on a beginner run and stopping when you're scared! I can only remember taking one snowboarding lesson, but it was one of the exercises we did. I'm not saying "dude jump in the pipe!"

Fear on a snowboard usually translates to weight onto back foot and sitting down. Practising jumps and ollies gets your weight forward. Weight forward on the front foot is also important for turn initiation. The better you can turn, the less likely you are to be uncomfortable at speed, I suppose.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
If you're scared, your body is going stiffen up and make crashing more inevitable. On a snowboard, this is more far likely going to end up with you sitting down than faceplant.

Maybe try straight-lining down a wide beginner run for as long as you can go before feeling the urge to slow down. Or seeing how many ollie jumps you can do in a straight line on the same course before you need to scrub some speed. Obviously watch out for other people and do not do this or any other exercise on forest runs. Practicing small jumps is also good. Learning to land jumps=learning to be balanced and to conquer fear. Hit a jump with your weight back in fear mode, and you wont land it.

Maybe get your board tuned too. Sharp edges stop faster so you can have more confidence in them.

oh i notice this too,, the sharper the edge the better it works for me,,,

ill try the straight line jumps then,,,

thx man,,
Originally Posted By: B4t4x
Originally Posted By: Jynxx

I think you can go longer. 162, 163
I´m sure you wanna float on Pow.
If you are not riding switch or hitting things you might wanna try directional tapered (pin tail) boards.
Also these boards have a 1 degree edge bevel that is better on the mountain (ice and stuff) compared to freestyle boards 2~3 degrees which is buttery, catch-less on rails, etc.
I´m not a big pusher on new tech, but the feel thst you can get from boards make a BIG difference on you.
Your problem and joy is finding that stick you like, haha

What R U riding now?

my board is lamar diablo 157,,, stance width? i put both bindings on the widest setting, last inserts on both nose and tail,, feel a bit uncomfy though,, probably gonna change it later,,

next time i buy new board, ill buy bigger ones! thx man!!

anyway thank u 4 all the snow bros!!

hope i can hit the slopes high speed next week hehehe!!

Lamar Diablo !
All mountain board, mid width, stable charger..
and you are on the widest stance.
You are pulling my leg lol
good luck wink

Originally Posted By: B4t4x

seriously, stand naturally with your feet just slightly over shoulder width apart, and that is the distance between the front and rear plate you should be using.

Actually sounds like you need a lesson in tuning your board to your stance before you take to the slopes again.

If you can, find a snowboard shop in Nagoya/Hamamastu area, and they should be able to help you first. If you are feeling uncomfortable when you snowboard, you may never get the confidence to go faster.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Actually sounds like you need a lesson in tuning your board to your stance before you take to the slopes again.

If you can, find a snowboard shop in Nagoya/Hamamastu area, and they should be able to help you first. If you are feeling uncomfortable when you snowboard, you may never get the confidence to go faster.

ok will do bro,,, thx
Originally Posted By: snowdude
No fear here at all! I love speed, fast skiing, fast driving, fast cycling, fast, fast, fast! LOL

Let's not forget fast women (sorry if I've anyone of the fairer sex in the forum)
Originally Posted By: call me Sir Mr!
Hi, can I ask how are they faster skiers if you are keeping up with them, doesnt that make them not slower,not faster but the same as you?

I like turning and find serious fast to be a consequence of not doing enough
turning that is!

I used to ski and it´s much more easier to go fast on skis.
You can flat run (not getting on the edge) on skies easier (without getting scared) All because - you guessed it right, you have two planks, two effective edges, widen stance for stability, step out to stop a fall - skiing is easy.
I cannot over take fast skiers. I cannot go faster than myself on skis. And I am not on hardboots.