Hi there - am heading to Niseko next week, have read up on the area but wondering what the local rules of the road are? Have read up on Niseko rules and get that - but what's the local rules of the road beyond the gates? Notice that cutting tracks across the face not popular - fair nuff! anything else a new boy on the block should be aware of so not to upset the locals? Am staying in Hirafu and plan to ski the first day on all the lifts - then start heading out the gates - any suggestions? Read the hike from gate 4 was worthwhile - any others? Cheers LZ

Beyond the gates you're outside of the resort boundary and there are no rules beyond common sense. Most of the gates access areas that can slide so having avi gear and knowledge is a pretty good idea. That said there haven't been any avi deaths in Niseko since the gate system and rules were put in place (not from people accessing the slopes through the gates that is). I'd suggest a guide for a day to familiarize yourself with how to get around the mountain. Visibility is rarely all that good here so having a guide to show you around can make a big difference in working out where the good terrain is and how to access it.

Thanks go native - have followed some of your posts so good to get some feedback from a local. My buddy and I have skied nz heaps and between us europe/alaska and done avalanche course/pack avi lungs etc - but we aint looking for them if you know what i mean. guide sounds like a great idea - where can we make contact with one? cheers LZ

Originally Posted By: LZPowderhound
sweet - will do. final question - where's the best yakitori bar?!

Yakitori Yosaku was ok, but I don't remember seeing that many yakitori bars in Niseko. Most of the places that served yakitori were Japanese izakayas, tapas restaurants if you will, rather than fully fledged yakitori bars.