What's up, new to the site! Not new to Japan but fairly new to snowboarding.

I was just curious if anyone uses 2 way radios around here? I haven't made it to the mountians here in Japan so not sure how well they would work. If anyone has any ideas/reccomendations please let me know smile

thanks!

Yeah, I use them. An old set of Motorolas. They work really well - well enough that I could abuse my friend who was too lazy to get up for the morning session from the top of the mountain while he was still in bed in the hotel in Niseko!

Sorry, just got back on line - been having FAR TOO MUCH FUN in Hakuba - and yes we have been using out two ways while there.

They have been VERY handy actaully - been pretty bleak conditions so when we got separated from the kids it was pretty easy to stay in touch. It also meant when the kids were feeling the pinch and wanted to lap the green at Cortina, Papa and I could go do something a bit more challenging and still be within 'coooee'.

We bought ours at Akihabara so they met the requirements for Japan regulation. They were not cheap - can't recall the price right now, but I remember thinking "we better bloody well use them!!".

They have limitations - and dont work over massive distances or through kryptonite. EG: They failed once family dropped over into Hanazono, and the rest were still in Hirafu - but we had zero failures in Hakuba. Maybe Hirafu or Hanazono has lots of kryptonite...

..recommended..

• 4 weeks later...

I have been wondering about it because recently many resorts have put up posters everywhere about "transcievers" (i guess that means two way radios?) using frs/gmrs frequencies being illegal. Like mentioned above, if they have that japan post-looking mark on them, then they are legal. Otherwise they are illegal and you could get a fine of up to a million yen and serve up to a year in prison. This is what I have gathered from translating the Japanese. Can't remember if there was an English version or not. I'd like to know in case they are serious about cracking down on this pretty important piece of gear!

Does anyone have any first hand experience getting warned or harrassed by anyone at a resort?

Yes.

Loads of fellows with laptop-like (but they were standing so it was really chest top) detectors at the base of the Gondola and the Ace in Niseko last season (didn't see any anywhere this season though).

We were approached by the guys with a "aha! Gotcha" look on their faces when they saw me pull mine out to find out where the rest of our group were at before going back on the Gondie - they looked down at the detector as I began to talk and got the most gutted and disappointed look across their faces when they realised we were using J-transcievers. HILARIOUS.

But they are out there. And if you flout the law you might get caught.

Originally Posted By: pete
Why not just use SMS with phones. Also gives you the ability to make emergency calls should that be needed.

Because phones can be expensive to use when 'roaming', because sometimes there is no phone coverage, because the kids phones are not set to roam and therefore left at home, because it is super easy to keep one in your pocket and contact the whole group at once...
Originally Posted By: Tubby
anyone know why the non-japanese ones are illegal?

According to the J-signs in Niseko at least: Because they stuff up the local television signal.

I had heard that somewhere before BM, ....why do they not say that on the posters warning people not to use them...?

I am sure there would be higher compliance if people were worried they might hinder safety rather than just interrupt someone watching Dancing with the Stars...

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I had heard that somewhere before BM, ....why do they not say that on the posters warning people not to use them...?

I am sure there would be higher compliance if people were worried they might hinder safety rather than just interrupt someone watching Dancing with the Stars...

Agree, the more reasonable (and safety related) the information given for the ban, the higher the likelihood of compliance.

However, the reasons given need to be REAL!

I guess the J government is the same as every other. They make ruiles and laws for them, if you are going to visit, you need to be aware of the ones that might affect you. J-transceivers will not operate with Aus transceivers because of the frequency differences. Same as not ALL Aus phones will work in Japan.