Hi, I will be staying in Sapporo for 1 day probably to do some shopping and site seeing on 1 Feb 2011. I will not be around when the ice scruptures starts on 5th Feb. Are there any other ice shows to see besides the big scale ones?

Thanks for so many advices..(but 1 answer) heehee,

nonetheless, Can i know if i decided to stay at Grand Chisun Hotel, is this a good location where I can do alot of shopping and see them being made?

Chisun is Minami (South) 5, so that's a 5-block walk up to Odori-koen where the snow festival preparations are taking place... That's like an unencumbered 15-minute walk in summer, so maybe 20 to 30 minutes in winter. There's lots of things to see along the way though, so it will be interesting nonetheless.

Thanks all for the advice. My frens asked me to try outdoor onsens under the snow. Is there any onsen hotel or maybe just outdoor onsens to recommend in Sapporo city or which is better, in tokyo or sapporo?

I am thinking of staying in an onsen hotel instead in sapporo if they are cheap or if not reasonable priced? (not 4 or 5 stars kind)

Originally Posted By: Alan
Thanks all for the advice. My frens asked me to try outdoor onsens under the snow. Is there any onsen hotel or maybe just outdoor onsens to recommend in Sapporo city or which is better, in tokyo or sapporo?

I am thinking of staying in an onsen hotel instead in sapporo if they are cheap or if not reasonable priced? (not 4 or 5 stars kind)

Don't know of any onsen hotels right in Sapporo. The main nearby onsen resort area to Sapporo is Jozankei.
It's easy to get to. Check details at this site

http://www.jyozankei.com/english/
Originally Posted By: cal
Wow thats interesting. Tons of scaffolding etc - that making one of the big sculptures?

Yep. It's very interesting. I spent a fair bit of time on lunch breaks and after work watching the army guys trucking in the snow and working it into shape. A note to you all - don't go to war with Hokkaido. They will encase you in five storeys of sweet pow before you have time to clean your rifle.

Originally Posted By: thursday
nice one greenie, nice to hear from you. Where are you now?

Thanks Thursday but I'd rather not say. Things got pretty out of shape after I ran up some huge debts at Ezy's card games down on the docks in Otaru. His goons play hard. Suffice to say I'm warm, catching fish and regularly in the green roome.