Just planning our trip and need some help, we land at Tokyo on a Monday around 4pm, we are then going to jump on the train to Zao, gets us in just before 9pm and after the last bus, stay there till Saturday and travel to Shiga Kogen and stay till Wednesday then head to Tokyo for a few days.

Any hotel recommendations in Zao, B&B, reasonable sort of 3 star?

Will need transport from the station up to Zao, any suggestions?

Any hotel recommendations for Shiga Kogen and how to best get to the Snow Monkeys?

Sort for all the questions.

hope I can repay the favour if any of you are heading to Europe.

In Zao I stayed at Scole which is listed on this site. The owners are very nice and it is reasonably priced. I don't know how many stars it would get from someone who knows the rating system but I would give it 3 snowflakes out of 5!

Try and stay in the Ichinose area of Shiga Kogen.....its pretty much central to all the areas and has a large cluster of hotels which have their own restaurants....giving you a little selection of where to eat and also access to SK's "legendary" nightlife! wink

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Get the resort bus from the station.
Ask your accommodation for how to get to the Snow Monkeys. If they don't go themselves, they will certainly know how to get you there.

Hi the last bus goes at 20.00 we arrive around 20.50 at Yamagata, which is my challenge
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
You're staying at Scole?! Great! Mao is very nice! Enjoy your time there!

Had a great time at Scole, Mao is spot on, and makes a great cheesecake yummy

moved on now to Okushiga Kogen, one more day of skiing
  • 2 weeks later...