Japanese boarder dies off course at Nozawa Onsen

Another child died skiing into a tree in Tohoku somewhere over the weekend.

I'm not keeping a strict count and there may be some deaths I didn't hear about, but the ones I know of this season amount to 10 or so.

This is from the Zao death thread - seems like some people missed it. Morbid, but here's what NoFakie and I came up with

Tokagushi chair fall

Zao machine death

Hakuba big kicker death

Jeff Anderson

Craig Kelly and the people he was guiding in Revelstoke

Another crew killed in Revelstoke a week after Kelly and crew

--

Most of Craig Kelly's party were on skis. He was on a split board. According to their website, that company (Selkirk Mountain Experience IIRC) doesn't allow boarders to ascend by snowshoes on their tours.

The second Glacier Park party were on a character-building mountain skills expedition with their school. I believe they were on touring skis.

A French pro boarder died around the same time as Craig Kelly from avalanche-induced injuries near Jackson Hole.

Here in Japan, to add to the list

Skier in Kamikochi region - backcountry avalanche

Two boarders at Shirao - offpiste avalanche

Skier at Hakuba Cortina - collision with tree

Boarder at Charmant Hiuchi - broken neck on natural quarter pipe

Skier at ? - collision with tree after veering off a slalom pole course

Young girl skier at ? - collision with course rope

Boarder at Nozawa - drowned in deep snow

Add that to Ocean's report. "Another child died skiing into a tree in Tohoku somewhere over the weekend."

and you are starting to get big numbers.

It really is a dangerous pair of sports. Be safe.

it always varies on who is going but we usually have a black lab, golden retriever, a huskie, and a complete mutt. oddly enough the mutt, who has virtually no winter coat and no hair on his ears, kicks all the other dogs butts. the huskie never listens to his master and is always off doing his own thing. the goldens get bad ball up under their feet and can't travel for too long. and the lab can get too cold and is actually a chicken shiat when it comes to the steeps. i had a buddy who also had a malamut and was trying to teach him how to pull but he we found out he had hip displacement so he couldn't join us.

ideally it would be best to get a golden and train it from the puppy stage to do search and rescue. they have a scent that is far more accurate than any beacon search.

I was at Island Lake last week, and as we were riding a cat, 3 snowmobilers were burried and perished in back side of where we were riding. There are more than 25 deaths in British Columbia alone this season ralated to avalanches including Kelly et al. and this is extreamely high for them.

Now Spring is here and some of the snow is getting stressed by Sun and temperature, so extream caution is required.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

Indo, how much does buying and using a transceiver cost?
Ocean, I think they cost about 13,500yen. and thats for 1, which would be useless right!
I haven't actually bought one but usually borrow them! ( my friends company use them for sports events)
Up in Niseko we had 3 between 4 of use and they were so helpful, but I wouldn't rely on them as a BC safety device.

ocean11 - once you have flipped the bill for a transceiver it will only cost the price of your batteries to operate it. and the batteries tend to last an entire season. i usually change mine out at least once during the season just to make sure it is fully juiced, nothing would suck more then to loose battery life on the day you get buried. i saw an ad this weekend in the march edition of powder magazine from backcountrystore.com (i'll have to look up the exact url and post later). they were offering a backcountry package for something like USD $375. it included the ortovox m2 transceiver, probe poles, and shovel....all three essential items for b/c travel. not sure if they will ship to japan but it would be a good place to look for deals.

one thing to note, having a transceiver is only half the battle. first you must have someone else with one and second it is wise to have a good understanding of how to use them effectively. meaning being able to "start digging" for a buried victim in under 5 minutes.

IM - year after year snowmobiler's top the list of avalanche victims. oddly enough they think that since they have a big burly machine they are immune to them. when in reality it is a result of these machines that get them in the situation to begin with. Another odd statistic is that snowboarders often top skiers in fatalities as well.

steeno, I'm not talking about a beacon (which I think is what you're talking about?) Do you need a provider or anything requiring money to use a walkie-talkie on the hill (for use when you're lost rather than dead).

Ocean, they are walkie talkies!

Just put the AA batteries in, select your frequency and off you go! as Steeno said the only other cost after the initial purchase would be new batteries which are the standard AA size!

We're talking about 2 things here I think. I'm only interested in walkie talkies. But now I'm straight on both.

Cheers.

Having a transceiver might be a lot cheaper than buying a mobile phone...

Radios are good. But if you buy them overseas like mine you often pick up the patrol radios. This year I also picked up some other gaijin couple witht the lady insisting on repeating her mates name for 10 mins. On a big mountain like happo they might not work if your too far apart.

Great things in the back country.

The ones you buy overseas shouldn't be used in Japan as the frequencies could interfere with emergency services etc. in Japan.

There's a warning about that on the Motorola Japanese website (typically failing to say exactly why you shouldn't use it - just saying "Don't". Now where have I seen that sort of thing before?)

Anybody know of any Japanese online stores that might have them?