Important facts in the kitchen

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Hate open plan houses even more - sorry but I like distinct rooms. Perhaps living in Japan for too long has done my head in. Hate all this crapypy LDK/SLDK business.

I like some distinct rooms too and I really don't like huge windows letting heaps of light in. I like my house to be a sanctuary from the outside world and I like darker, warmer colours than bright white (feels warmer in winter). The fact that there's no fences between houses in this region plays a part in not wanting to have windows all the neighbours can see directly into. I'm not one of these rich people who want the outside world to see into my lavish lifestyle (might have something to do with not being rich I guess wink )

On the whole though I hate Japanese houses. I find the interiors to be very poorly designed and very poorly finished. I did knock out a couple of walls downstairs in my house when renovating because each room was so small as to be near useless for anything. So we turned 3 rooms into what is now a dining/lounge area. Still not a huge space (it's not a big house) but at least we can have friends over for dinner and we have a dining table that can fit 8 people that doesn't take up a whole room. I too am not really into open plan kitchens but I do like a kitchen with space enough to do some real cooking in and most Japanese houses kitchens are barely as big as a closet. I've yet to be impressed by any kitchens I've been into in houses up this way.

It's hard to heat a house with woodstove with separate rooms. The heat doesn't get around.

I would say the main downside to open plan is noise, not cleanliness or smells. Ideally you'd want some kind of separate multipurpose living room/snug/playroom that's soundproofed from your living/dining/kitchen.