Who is getting turns in now or expecting to in the next few weeks?

Pray for snow in Austria! Just booked my flights, leave Sunday, land Monday afternoon in Innsbruck, riding on Tuesday no matter what the conditions! Plan to ride a few days, duck into Munich for two days depending on the snow, ride a few more days then finish off in Vienna for the last weekend. Total 13 nights. Stoked. Thanks SJF and Jynxx, hope to catch you sometime during the visit even if to just buy you guys a beer.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Schneebored
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
what's an inch?

I thought you were from the UK?

Haha yeah....but I am too young to have any concept of this imperial mumbo-jumbo.

Yeah, so am I technically but the UK hasn't adopted all metric across the board although they were meant to.....when people ask how tall you are do say it in cms? How fast do you drive in a car? How far is it from London to Edinburgh?

These are all measures that we still use the imperial for....right? or is it just me?!
what's an inch?

I thought you were from the UK?

Haha yeah....but I am too young to have any concept of this imperial mumbo-jumbo.

Yeah, so am I technically but the UK hasn't adopted all metric across the board although they were meant to.....when people ask how tall you are do say it in cms? How fast do you drive in a car? How far is it from London to Edinburgh?

These are all measures that we still use the imperial for....right? or is it just me?!

Damn...you are right. Been out of the UK so long that I forget how much of a unit shimozzle there is.

TB, Schneebord,

You guys remember that unit "Chain" ?

Bloody obscure measurement.

Funny thing is, that we get the impression that Metric is American but in the States the engineers use Imperial !

When I was working as an interpreter, I had to do conversions or the conversation will stop.

Pete, great news. Hotel details PM´d. I´ve got to do this Integrationkurs so I can´t stay overnight but defo next week is on!

Chain is a surveying measurement wasn't it. Remember working with some older dudes in the late 80s who used that term.

Thanks Jynxx. Emailed the hotel. Looks just like the place I need to chill for the 1st week. Work has been a bit full on so I can see myself relaxing it up there with a pint or two smile

America doesn't use the metric system. But the UK is weird cos we'll use it for some things but not others. A few years back a couple of green grocers were taken to court because they were still displaying their prices per lb and oz as opposed to per kg and g. They said that they DID change over but most of their customers didn't have a clue about Kg's and g's as most of em were old codgers so they changed it back to lbs and oz.

I want to say that America planned on switching to metric in the 70s, but of course it never happened. I'd assume the reason was that it'd cost to much money to switch, etc, etc. And of course the longer you wait the more expensive it gets.

Yeah mate really jazzed and may even make it there Sunday arvo now due to likely bad weather conditions here Sunday morning which will mean I have to leave Sat night. Lets hope that happens smile

Never Summer are hopeless to deal with mate, 3 unanswered emails, 3 posts on their FB page and no response so haven't bought a board. I may well end up with the Lib Tech that Ippy suggested as there is a dealer in Innnsbruck. Still have my short Burton which I hope to trade in and an old NS 161.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
TB, Schneebord,
You guys remember that unit "Chain" ?
Bloody obscure measurement.
Funny thing is, that we get the impression that Metric is American but in the States the engineers use Imperial !
When I was working as an interpreter, I had to do conversions or the conversation will stop.

Pete, great news. Hotel details PM´d. I´ve got to do this Integrationkurs so I can´t stay overnight but defo next week is on!

Chain? never.

But american engineers using imperial is a major gripe of mine. I reference alot of american engineering books/papers, the lbs and inches make me angry. ggrrr
yeah

The French adopted it first way back in the 1700's, but dunno if they come up with it....have a feeling it was an English guy but it didn't catch on in Britain

According to the internet....

The metric system was created and formalized in 1793 in Napoleonic France. However, who invented it is a tougher question. The idea of a metric system has been attributed to John Wilkins, first secretary of the Royal Society of London in 1668. Several others proposed similar decimalized measurement systems in the intervening years, but it took the Napoleonic decree to make it happen.
Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Still blows me away there is a global standard for

Electrical voltage and plugs
Driving on one side of the road
The use of the word fanny wink

my mate's mum was over in the summer from the US, I asked her how her day was (she'd been up Tokyo wandering around all day) and she said her "fanny was sore from all the walking".....couldn't help but laugh!! She was a tad red-faced when my mortified mate explained what it means to British people lol

Morning everyone,

The wind was howling throughout the night. Still is, and sleet. Would be snowing in the mountains. Now, I don´t want to make predictions about the weather and held responsible,(but as I said on last Tuesday), Friday to Monday is going to storm. Currently high wind warning out there. If you plan to arrive on Sun and if still windy, expect major delays at the airport/weather hold.

Pete, Donno if they take trade-ins here. Not that I have tried...

Euro is not as good as paying USD and 19% sales tax on top makes things expensive. You might want to check Moreboards.at and SnowShop.de to get a feel on prices. There are a few shops in Innsbruck (with websites but no price) so if you do get there on Sunday, you might be shopping on Monday.