Travelling Narita to Hakuba on 30th December

Hi Everyone

We are an Australian family that are skiing Hakuba for a week before sightseeing around Japan for a further 2 weeks. We will arrive with Qantas at 6:15am on Thursday 30th December and wish to proceed directly to Hakuba. We have booked accommodation at Morino Lodge.

I have since found out that this day is the busiest travel day of the year in Japan as millions of Japanese travel to their home towns to celebrate the New Year holidays with their families.

I have been advised that all trains will be full. Indeed to reserve seats with JR East you have to collect your tickets by 9pm the night before.

The alternate options are:

Re Direct Snow Bus

Both Hakubus & Hakuba Snowbus operate direct bus trips. Total cost is JPY 47,100 but departure is 8pm. This is not practical with a 6:15 am arrival.

Hakubus has a minivan charter to Hakuba for JPY110,000. This seems very high.

Re Public Bus

My research on the buses to Nagano are that Alpico run buses from Shinjuku to Nagano & then onto Hakuba – Total Cost is JPY 22,150. However reservations are by telephone in Japanese only. I tried both numbers yesterday without success.

Re Rental Car

My research with a couple of rental cars is a total cost of a 6 hour hire & a 1 way drop off is about JPY 30,000 plus fuel & tolls. Also need to add public bus fare to Hakuba & taxi cost in Nagano? Directions on Google Maps indicates a trip time to Nagano of 4 ½ hours.

Re Taxi

Chuo Taxi operates a shared taxi service from Narita to your Hakuba hotel. Total cost is JPY 56,400. Chuo takes either 9 or 14 passengers & state that you may wait up to 1 ½ hours for other passengers. Departure time is not confirmed until 3 days earlier.

Finally my questions:

• What will the traffic conditions be like to Nagano if we leave Narita around 8am on 30TH Dec?

• Is there any other alternatives that maybe cheaper or faster?

• On balance it seems the Chuo taxi seems to be the best bet. Do others agree?

Thanks everyone.

I think if you are going to drive from the airport to Hakuba you are looking at something closer to 5.5 - 6 hours if you don't encounter any traffic or adverse weather conditions. Driving on national holidays at peak hours will most likely mean adding several hours to your trip. If it's your first time driving in Japan I personally think this option should be avoided.

Looks like Chuo is your best bet. How many people are travelling in your group?

Cheers and have fun!

Thanks Black Mountain. There is 5 in our party - 2 adults and our 3 daughters aged 19, 16 & 10.

With a 6 hour bus trip - it is nearly as long as the plane trip from Oz. At least the girls will sleep.

Thanks

KB19

5 people? Well, if you consider that the train will cost at least 10,000 - 12,000Â¥ per person from Narita to Hakuba I'd say the Chuo is definitely the way to go. You'll also be able to avoid making transfers with all of your gear. I've never actually made the trip you are talking about because I live in Shizuoka and always drive to Hakuba so other people may have better advice but it seems you have it all figured out already!

I´d re-book and do 2 wks sight seeing first and then go Hakuba.

People are on holidays so the resorts will be full till the 8th.

But the big cities will be quiet cos everyone has gone home.

The day you picked is just that. People going back home to where that is all over Japan, and people going travelling, mostly getting out of the country. The Airport will be chocas.

Alternatively, can stay in Narita and do the New Years Eve thing there. Narita-yama temple is famous for that.

Chuo Taxi option is your best bet. You can book it now and not worry about it any further. You may get the bonus of sitting next to Panhead Pete who will give you a good rundown of the area. The price is standard whether there is 1 or 10 people in the van. Roughly 13000 yen from Narita to your hotel in Hakuba. Comfortable ride with a couple of stops along the way at the service centers. Traffic might be heavy especially if it is dumping but then that's a good thing.