Me and some friends are planning a trip to Hokkaido in January 2011. Kurodake looks pretty sweet, but I noticed that it is often closed for part January. Does anyone know when and if this will this season? Also if anyone wants to pass on some other must shred spots on Hokkaido. So far we are looking at Niseko, Asahidake, and maybe Furano. Thanks

Last year the winter operating dates were

Opening/Closing dates:09/10 DATES.

Nov. 6 (snow permitting) to Jan. 6

Closed from Jan. 6 - 21

Ropeway from Jan. 22 - end

Double chair from Mar. 1 - end

Probably something similar this season. Kurodake is a great ski area but I would really advise having a guide. The ski down to the village from the top of the ropeway area can lead you into some pretty dangerous terrain if you're not careful. Climbing to the peak at Kurodake would give you over 1,300m vertical back down to Sounkyo. You would definitely be advised to have a guide and full avi equipment though.

Asahidake is open right through Jan.

Thanks Native, we do plan on bringing all our avi gear, and will consider doing a guided tour. I guess if we want to hit it up we'll have to go there first. Is Kurodake worth the trouble or should we make our priorities to go elsewhere? Such as Asahidake. We are all experienced snowboarders and want to experience the best Hokkaido has to offer.

Kurodake does have some amazing terrain but you really need to be with someone who knows the safe ways down. Some friends of mine last season got a little lost and ended up spending the whole night out in nothing but the gear they had on. Wasn't overly comfortable for them.

A good place maybe for a day with a guide.

Asahidake can be negotiated a lot easier and safer.

Only once or twice a winter. Some Niseko based guys bought a lodge in Sounkyo, right at the base of the ropeway, a couple or years ago. A pretty big group of us head up there each year now for the opening weekend. I'll be heading up again this year. Probably only a month to go! clap

Is it worth heading over to Kurodake if you arn't going to be full on with the avi gear and a guide?

Can you just take the gondola down again instead of riding the bottom of the mountain, and use the chairlift at the top of the gondola?

Or would Kamui Ski Links be better?

Thanks

The chairlift above the ropeway really doesn't allow access to anything all that fun, just a few pretty lame piste runs. If you're not going to be heading off-piste it's not worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Made it up to Kurodake for some skiing on Sunday, and it was suggested on another thread that I should post some pics - so here we go!

The sun was out first thing in the morning, and there was a dusting of fresh snow ontop of a decent base. We were gonna take a few runs under the chairlift as it was our first day this winter, and then think about hiking up for an explore. The wind really started to pick up though, and clouds came in, so we ended up just jibbing around on the sides of the trails, until the chair closed early afternoon because the wind was too strong. Not the best day ever, but at least we got some skiing in.

The Mrs, early in the day, in bright sunshine

1291705219IMG_2592.JPG

A dusting of fresh snow

1291705283IMG_2594.JPG

Me messing about

1291705326IMG_2596.JPG

Cloud coming in and wind picking up, eventually closing the lift

1291705347IMG_2602.JPG

I'm researching a trip to Asahidake and Kurodake for early March. I'm thinking something like this:

day 1 - Asahidake

day 2 - hike over to kurodake (about 7 miles, 750m elevation gain)

day 3 - Kurodake

I would like to find a guide for Asahidake and for Kurodake (don't care to squander half a day digging myself out of a valley because I didn't know better). I'm sure I can handle the hiking trip between asahi and kuro on my own.

Any info on travel, accommodations, and guides would be welcome. I would be coming from Misawa, Aomori.

There's a couple of good guiding services up that way. Don't underestimate the trip between the two peaks though. It's not a long way but it is all well above treeline with lots of little ravines and a whole lot of volcanic features that can turn you round a bit if it's whiteout conditions. You'd want to be very confident with following a bearing or have a GPS. It's very exposed up top there. I wouldn't attempt it unless visibility is reasonably good.

For the crossing I don't plan on stepping out of my comfort zone. I have been studying the topo maps and the trip, from the top of the gondola on the asahidake side to the top of kurodake is about 6.5 miles, 750m total elevation. This is a nice half a day of work. I already have the summit of Asahidake as my bail-out mark. If the weather has that 'I want to kill you' look to it, I'll turn around and enjoy another snowboarding day at asahidake before grabbing a bus to the other resort.

I have experienced being on my hands and knees crawling against gale force winds on mountains. I try to avoid that if I can help it wink

If you know of guides or tour companies that could put this package together, could you please send me their info?