Hi

I am heading over with a small group for 2 week's boarding from the 27th of December this year. I can't make my mind up between Niseko and Hakuba.

Hakuba seems like it will be easier to get to, cheaper and more cultural, but being the start of the season, I'm a bit worried we won't get the best snow.

Would Niseko be a much better option? And will the powder there make up for the estra time and cost of getting there?

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Andrew Munro
Hi

I am heading over with a small group for 2 week's boarding from the 27th of December this year. I can't make my mind up between Niseko and Hakuba.

Hakuba seems like it will be easier to get to, cheaper and more cultural, but being the start of the season, I'm a bit worried we won't get the best snow.

Would Niseko be a much better option? And will the powder there make up for the estra time and cost of getting there?

Thanks for your help.

You are new here huh? Andrew Munro.

nisekohakuba

You best be investigating accommodation options if it is Niseko you wish to visit, very busy bookings wise.
Another one that is tough at the moment is the JAL flights up there - was trying to book those today and either the Travel Agent is a dooshbag or they are heavily booked and charging like wounded bulls.

Where you depends on what you are looking for... where you are at, what your expectations are... Most people are going to have a great time in either destination [even from the 27th of December].

This topic comes up about 10 times every season, doesn't it? Decide on what you want first... it'll make the decision about where to go a little easier.

Going to Niseko will take about half a day/ full day more and cost about 20% ~ish more. The snow there is very nice.

The snow at Hakuba is also very nice.

If you are looking for culture I think you'll be pretty disappointed with both places. During Christmas and New Years both resort areas are pretty busy... Hakuba will have more Japanese people, Niseko will have more foreign people (it's not only Aussies these days)

Apres is good at both places but Niseko has more options. The terrain is more varied in Hakuba while Niseko has options like Moiwa and Rusutsu not far away...

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Originally Posted By: MintyNZ
Go to Hakuba - it's a train ride away from Tokyo or Osaka,

Unless a new train line has been built, that's not entirely true is it.

No, but if he doesn't do his own research then he's an idiot.

This thread is a part of his research no?
So what's your motivation to post that then? To mislead?

confused

I guess so.

Not intentionally, but rather through only presenting half of the information needed through my desire to post my opinion as quickly as possible.

God it was hard to type that whole sentence rather than just half of it.
Originally Posted By: thursday

This thread is a part of his research no?

I did about 70% of my research before I ever posted here, Nozawa was already booked for a week and I was having a bit of a lull in the planning so thought I'd forum a bit.

Andrew, getting away from this nonsense.

As you may already know, to get to Hakuba you either get a bus from the airport or get the train to Tokyo then the train to Nagano and then a bus to Hakuba.

You're looking at least 4 hours.

Originally Posted By: thursday
It's 2.5 hours from Sapporo airport. One single coach ride plonks you in the centre of Niseko. Grand Hirafu Carpark, the centre of the universe.

you also MIGHT have to take a bus ride from Narita to Haneda Aiport (on the other sde of Tokyo) to catch a flight up to Hokkaido. The flights from Narita are few and are often booked up