I'll be making my first ever ski trip OS - to Japan - in February and have been advised (by the local ski store owner) that a roller bag to fit skis, boots and a heap of clothing is the best way to go.

At around $300 I was hoping for some advice from anyone here before spending.

What do you do when travelling?

I would NOT do that, because most airlines will allow you to check one piece of sporting equipment for no added cost (Hence a few extra kgs for free)

However if you have everything in one bag that is over the basic allowed weight then you would have to take your skis or boots out to take advantage of the extra weight allowance, losing any protection the bag may have provided.

Does the ski store owner sell these handy dandy bags by chance?

What I do for flights is actually carry a backpack (put laptop and anything else you can stuff in you need for the flight) and then physically carry your ski boots on the plane. They are the heaviest item besides skis and you can stash them above. Plus it's a good conversation starter! Then just fit what you can in with the skis (poles, hats, gloves, etc)

I do the same as MP. I always have a backpack as carry on luggage and have my ski boots in them. I wear my ski jacket and my round town boots on the plane and that way it keeps my luggage weight down. We also bought a hand held luggage weigher which is perfect. You would be amazed quickly you will reach your 20kg luggage allowance.

Originally Posted By: Slippery Jim
I use a roller bag on trips to NAmerica, but airlines on that route seem to be pretty relaxed about weight allowance.

yeah, it's double if you go through the USA isn't it (like 40kg over two bags instead of 20kg in one)

Not sure, Minty. But my bag had two pairs of skis, my boots and all the rest of my gear on the trip back in February and they didn't blink, even for the connecting flight to San Francisco, which was one of those small commuter jets (and was completely full at take-off).