Just thinking I may just do the one trip to Japan this season and perhaps one to France. I found an old thread on Meribel. Just wondering if anyone has ridden there of late. Where they went, what it was like etc. I'd have a couple weeks so guess I could visit more then one spot but kinda prefer hanging in a place and getting a feel for it. Anyone got any suggestions of places I should start looking at?

I probably contributed to that thread.... rode there about Easter time 2006. Had a great time, the 3 valleys are a fantastic place to ride. I'd go before Easter though to be fair, snow was decent and when there it snowed at night time a bit, giving me one of my greatest ever days on the snow UNTIL I came back to Japan!! If you go over late Jan/Feb, I'm sure the snow conditions would be epic, just don't go thinking your gonna be tree riding. Courcheval and Val Thorens (all on the same ticket) give an amazing amount of terrain to explore. Courceval is where I had the best day ever (U.I.R.T.J). Often its bluebird days in the Alps, with the snow comng at night time. The mountans are huge and the views from the tops are awesome.......I still think Japan has much better conditions though

Not sure, am posting from home with plenty to eat but no drinking tonight smile Wonder if I'll have the same prob at wk again tomorrow.

Thanks for the info TB. Love Bluebird days. Just thinking of mixing it up this year as will likely get 3 17 day trips in this season. Some friends just told me they heading to Niseko around the same time so might float up there to check out the hype. Would be good to get a 1st hand comparison with Hak. Just better get my 18 year old southern cross tattoo touched up if all the Aussie bogans are in town..... lol.

Still keen to hear about France though. LOVE that food and wine. Might be French stutters then smile

I think for pure amount of ski-able area and a good glacier 3-valleys is a good place for a couple of weeks.

But 1 week Chamonix....then bus/train into Switzerland for 1 week Verbier would be pretty fun.

I dreamt about the Italian Dolomites the other night, stunning place. Pretty crusey skiing....would love to go back.

So I guess it depends what you are looking for in your holiday??

Looking for an overall experience Schneebored, not just mountain. Was in France last year surfing and traveling and really liked the place and people but haven't been to Switzerland so that would certainly be a plus. As I generally travel by myself part of the journey will always be the people I meet, new food etc etc. The train trip sounds like fun. Would you mind providing more details about that?

We have experienced Switzerland and Italy ... I would go back to either, but I enjoyed Italy more.

Papa preferred Switzerland.

Papa also speaks French and LOVES Paris...the whole French genetic memory I think. I am much less enamored.

BUT...give me a holiday and a ski resort and I shall be happy.

Chamonix to Verbier is only about 1hr by car...there is no direct train so taking the bus is probably better (takes 2hrs).

Once in Verbier you can get the train east along the Rhone Valley, towards Zermatt - Saas Fee etc... there you can pick up the Glacier Express (worth googling) which goes all the way to St Moritz / Davos. I have never done the full trip in one go....probably something to do when life slows down a little.

Going further east you can continue on the train into Austria. The trains goes straight into the likes of St Anton and Mayerhofen.

Trains through Switzerland arent the cheapest, but there are some good rates about. I just always enjoyed kicking back and looking out the window...plenty of ski-board storage onboard also.

Sounds great and thanks for the info. Just been looking at Accom options in Chamonix and they aren't as bad as I have feared wink Getting there is simple too via Geneva.

I guess the $64 question for me is how early do the seasons normally start as if I do this it would be either in the last week in Dec (if I can find accom lol) or mid April as will be in Japan for my mid Feb trip. Perhaps that would be too late?

Early and late season is always hit and miss, as anywhere in the world. I always prefered spring in the valley as you can board all day and they it is warm (say..15-20 degrees) and sunny in the town....midd april is probably pushing it, but it would be much cheaper.

I always stick to resorts with glaciers/altitude when heading early/late season....so Cham ticks that box.

Tubs. BM I agree not all Eki-ben is nice. Got to be in the know for which one to get. Agreed lot of westerners do not like cold rice. I don´t like cold porrage either. Probably a sentimental thing ... the days you look forward in expectation for what you get from mummy´s O´bentoh.

Back on topic, I like Italy. I like northern Italian food so Dolomites is yay. The Italians like Japa and ever since me and my sis visited Italy as kids, we are fans. They love kids.

Missed out on Italy last year. There were places that hadn´t snowed for 2 weeks and we are talking Jan-Mar period. Year before that, we went a week before Easter and I´d say we could have been better there a week earlier but we did get a day of fresh snow and powder days up higher. A year before that, I went on my own for a week in Dec and it was great but bloody cold when windy. If you are not in Europe, I wouldn´t plan April. I just go when and where it´s happening.

Thanks guys, I should be able to swing that as I only have to give the PA 7 days notice before booking my flights so can make a decision at the time. Hopefully conditions will be OK 1st and 2nd week of April as that looks like the window I will have. Chamonix looks great by the way.