I have heard stories of them keeping the 24 hours online booking "not open" after the time arrives for longer periods in order to get worried people to cough up a bit of dough to get their seat. I don't know if it is just people imagining it or simply making it up, but...

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
I have heard stories of them keeping the 24 hours online booking "not open" after the time arrives for longer periods in order to get worried people to cough up a bit of dough to get their seat. I don't know if it is just people imagining it or simply making it up, but...

that would be malpractise naughty can't imagine anybody doing that confused

Last time I did that, the online check in opened at 10:25 when it should have been 10:00. When I checked the seats at 10:00, there were loads left and I could have paid 2000 yen or so to get mine fixed up. When I checked again at 10:20, there were very few left. Then it opened for free seat allocations at 10:25 and there were only a few left. My only conclusion is that a fair few people paid up between 10:00 and 10:20 to get their seat.

You are supposed to be able to checkin and choose a seat online 24 hours before the flight.

Before that, you can choose the seat at a cost.

Thats what I'm saying.

And if they delay that online check in just a little but, some people will - and apparently did - pay the charge to make sure they got a seat.

I'd happily pay 3000 yen a seat. More even, with a smile on my face. They can even charge me for the "meals" too. All I want is a little button on the website that lets me buy tickets in Japan at the UK price. It's not that unreasonable, is it?

Does anyone do it? Buy tickets thru an overseas agent, that is? Even now, BA to Japan in mid September is about 650 quid. From Japan, even if you wait two weeks for it to get cheaper, its still 131,000 yen.

Originally Posted By: KlingKlang
Originally Posted By: Schneebored
A travel consultant

Sounds like a nasty type to me that.

I agree....like recruitment consultant, you immediately think w@nker. But Travel consultant = Travel agent - highstreet shop.

From time to time a consultant will be able to access better deals.
For example. Flights for my feb trip to Japan, if booked directly with airlines would cost $2200, but cost $1500 through a consultant.

I kind of do that I guess. I have a Canadian credit card that allows me to purchase airplane tickets from Canadian websites and is charged to that account. Usually ends up saving a bit. If you know your holidays well in advance, are flexible with travel times and can read Japanese there is a great website called トラベルコーã¡ã‚ƒã‚“ that tends to be the cheapest deals that I've found anywhere online.