Ah. OK.

But wasn't everyone talking before about how good country pubs are? I always thought country pubs were known for serving food.

I'm not stirring, I just didn't geddit.

Surely if there is still demand for pub-style pubs in the city some will remain?

I'm a big fan of the English pub. I don't dig the sports bars in the US, and in OZ all the poker machines are terrible.

Well yes you have a point there.

There's one or two country pubs I know that now that don't have a bar area. It's eating everywhere and anywhere. Way back, the meals were usually served in a part of a pub that was for serving food. It's now taking over in lots of places. That is something that has changed a lot as they make more money now on the food.

Some good ones still remain of course but unfortunately it's harder to find the gems than it used to be.

Is that because people are drinking less these days - hence, more food in order to turn a profit.

It's more a cultural shift maybe?

I'm not English so maybe my tastes are different, but everytime I've been there I really like Brighton. There's drinking pubs, fancy pubs, food pubs, cheesy pubs, old men pubs (my favourite - lots of local beers and ciders and some personality to the place). Lots of pubs.

Can you smoke in pubs still?

I don't think you need to worry too much 2 pints. Pubs might be getting a bit more uba stylish around the big cities but in little country towns like where my in-laws live, nothing has changed.

Besides in Brigg, a town of just 5000 people, there are 19 pubs. It will take some time to change all them, if ever.

All this pub talk has me thinking of a place down the road from where I grew up... in small town Canada. It's called the Royal Coachman and nothing has changed since well before I was even old enough to drink. The last time I was in there quite a few of the staff were the same as well... damn I wish I were there now!