I started getting into yoga a while back to help out with balance for surfing... With these long summer holidays I find myself spending an hour or two each day practicing it now and have noticed a really big difference in my balance (among other things). I wonder what kind of effect it'll have on my boarding this winter...?

I always saw Yoga as a way to improve my buttering and general freestyle. Then I realised I would have to buy baggier clothes and some 'bling' to hang out with the bigger boys in the park.

Seriously though, I have done a little and along with some gym core work I have seen my ballance and agility vastly improve. I am quite a tall clumsey person so improving was quiet easy.

I got a couple of free videos off the net and practiced them quite a few times. One of my really good friends has been doing yoga for years so I got some pointers from him that helped to keep me on track. I haven't gone to any classes yet but I'm considering taking some in the future when I feel like I'm ready to take the next step. Whenever I travel to Indonesia I see ads for really cheap lessons and retreats so next time I go on surfari I'll probably join with 'the pros' and see how it goes. (tbh, my favourite bit is the relaxation wink )

smile

The herbs do help at some point in doing Yoga.

It is an Indian system, and worth studying, starting from the seven schools, the science and philosophy ...I recommend this small book by Yogi Ramacharaka called Science of Breath.

I call for caution. People have gone crazy from Kundalini rising unexpectedly.

I don't believe in the Guru worship, but unless you have studied their system and familiarized yourself especially with the accompanying body sensation, you may have some scary moments. This is when it's good to have people around with knowledge that comes with experience.

Yoga is not all about getting into the perfect body position (ie: as some schools like Iyenga may place greater importance on) but does aim to raise energy from the base of the spine up into the crown.

The Japanese way is dropping that from the 3rd eye region to Tantei (bottom abdomen) and it's called zen.

I prefer the Taoist Yoga. It combines the former two and makes a circular motion calling it Small and Large Heavenly cycles.

I used to do yoga quite a bit.

I was also doing lots of gym work as well and I sure felt good then, very flexible.

Could do with getting back into it actually used to enjoy it.