There's just something very wrong with this kind of story.

I find this kind of news article quite disturbing.

Apparently, in the UK last year more than 1000 young girls under 12 were prescribed the contraceptive Pill - many without their parents knowledge.

I'd be happy to hear that information is incorrect but it is just very sad.

I look back and remember what I was like when I was 11. I was still a kid, and I'm glad about that.

I MAY have been making Ken and Barbie have it off...but I sure didn't need a pill prescription for ME at that age!! Very sad. And very worrying when you consider the lack of protection from STDs.

Yeah, I know a lot of them start early in Oz. Twelve, Thirteen. But I don't think they are dumb enough to go on the pill at that age. I have heard a 16 yo giving advice to a 14 yo discouraging sex at too young age cos your goods are gonna get slack when you get older. Wise gal

I was asked at 11 if I wanted to go on the pill - because of the connotations I said no, and I actually kind of wish I had said yes.

It was for acne (the pill helps control acne as well as babies) & i was prescribed roaccutane in the end instead of the pill.

There are many such reasons.

I require progesterone to be functional at certain times (both ovulation and TTOM) - I am couch bound and in agony without it. Was not as bad as a teenager, but I agree being on the pill at 13 or 14 would have made life a darn sight more comfortable for me.

However I assumed that the article was not referring to such cases, but to the pill being used for birth control. Perhaps it was misleading.

I read that as well, and it was discussed on morning tv etc - it was very much talking about kids having sex at that age rather than just being on the pill for various reasons.

It wasn't THAT long ago when I was 11, but I can hardly imagine me being ready for all that at that age. And I'm glad for it too.