Originally Posted By: KlingKlang
Do many cars get stolen here?

Can't remember EVER hearing of a stolen car incident, though surely there are some.

One web site reports that according to police statistics, 25,815 cars were stolen in 2009.
Originally Posted By: fukdane
Would be interesting to compare that with US / UK / etc

I just looked it up...looks like about 1.2-1.3 million cars are stolen in the US per year.

Per capita that translates to much much more.

Would also be interesting to know what the cars are used for when they are stolen in each country or region.

I know in the Northern Territory (where my sis in law and her family live) if a car is stolen it is usually the one with keys in it and a full petrol tank, and is used for transport and then often dumped when they have got to where they wanted to be. The theft is most likely to be a petty criminal who steals/borrows what he wants or needs to get by.

But in Perth it seems the cars chosen are more often the very hard to steal high powered/strong bodied 4WD vehicle, specifically for getaways and ram raids. The car theft is more likely to be part of an organized gang activity.

I am more concerned about the second type - as they are the ones that will pull a gun or knife if you interrupt them.

Just in the past 12 months here in Honolulu:

1- 6 mountain bikes each properly locked (2 directly next to the police station in Waikiki in broad daylight.

2- Car stereo (they broke my window)

3- $500 cash from a hidden location in my suitcase in my locked hotel room. (Had to be a maid?)

4- My house was robbed and they took a bunch of my clothes, all of my shoes, some alcohol, and my entire CD collection - very strange.

11 years of living in Japan:

Nothing stolen from me. I kept an 80,000 yen mountain bike unlocked for 4 years...no problem.