Does anyone know a good ski or board repair shop in Kanda?

I have noticed a very small gap between the P-tex base and the edge as can be seen in this photo. wakaranai

sand_34.JPG .

Does anyone know if this is ok, or does the ski need some kind of repair (such as a P-tex job)? Which would bring me back to the original question, does anyone know a good repair shop in Kanda

Thanks in advance.

I am of a skool of DIY.

Sorry, I'm no help with shops.

Has the edge lifted off ? Do you have a square to see if this is flush?

Does look like the edges need going thru with a very fine file.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I am of a skool of DIY.

Sorry, I'm no help with shops.

Has the edge lifted off ? Do you have a square to see if this is flush?
Does look like the edges need going thru with a very fine file.

Thanks for reply.
I know what you mean with the DIY, but it's been a long time since I needed to do any P-Texing.
skis are brand new, unused. Thankfully, the base and edge are flush. The base has an inlay design, and it appears they didn't set the inlay exactly. Resulting in the small gap.

edit: the edge is still razor sharp, a little rust, but no more than to be expected.

Almost any of the ski shops in Kanda can do a decent tune-up/repair job. I have a favorite, but not sure if SJ wants that kind of specific recommendation made in public forums. PM me if you like.

OK! There's a small ski shop called Kadoya V3; it's between the large Victoria and Nippin along Yasukuni-dori, pretty much across the street from the Mizuno sports shop. It's run by a middle-aged guy and an elderly lady, and the guy has done some very nice work on skis for me -- best I've had in Tokyo since my one-time racer-chaser friend fled to parts unknown.

thanks Jim.

had it looked at and was told not to worry as it wasn't a problem. So I'm very relieved.

thanks again.

Most of the Kanda/Jinbocho shops can do decent basic repairs (I suspect that unless you're a complete klutz like me it's not really all that difficult). Just be sure to talk with someone for a few minutes; it's pretty easy to recognize the guys who know there stuff.

although it wasn't on the edge like that, my old board had a huge gouge out the middle of the base. I p-texed it myself and found it to be pretty easy to do, now its nice n smooth.

Just matter of lighting the p-tex candle on a no wind day outside, (don't let it smoke- wind does that) , and drop on the melted liquid.

Alternatively, if it's not a big gouge, p-tex flake and put aluminum foil over and iron it. This method is cosmetically cleaner (because you don't get the soot)

For repairs against the edge of a board/ski p-tex isnt the best as it doesnt stick to steel so theres a high chance that the p-tex repair will come out during skiing. For a repair like that or any small repair next to the edge its better to use epoxy glue(comes in 2 tubes then mixed) and the repair should last the life of the ski.

I wouldn't say that. Never had p-tex lifted off. If it is that small (like that slit on the pic) I would cut some base off so that the p-tex would go in there. Or don't bother and melt on base wax, scape it, business as usual. That will keep the water out.

Epoxy is messy stuff. Unless the edge has lifted off I wouldn't use it.

As I use to be a Ski Tech for a number of years I have a bit of experience with base repairs. Apart from having to repair/tune customers/instructors/patrollers/race brats equipment the rental shop had over 600 pairs of skis/300 boards we had to maintain so Ill still stick with my theory that epoxy will work best for a repair like that.....

Should be pretty simple for you to do yourself. Ive seen epoxy at the 100yen shop recently but dont know about the quality. Otherwise about 500yen from the home centre closest to you.

A bit of masking tape around the repair(not too close but at least 1/2 a mm away from the repair)

Mix the glue and fill in the repair.

Lightly use a hair dryer to warm up the glue in the repair and it will make the glue runny and should remove any air pockets/ bubbles.

While the glue is still wet run something flat lightly across the top of the repair to remove excess glue.

Remove the tape while the glue is still runny if possible but it has started to set then leave the tape untill fully cured.

Try to keep the ski flat untill the glue has hardened.

Once the glue has fully hardened (at least 24hrs or as long as possible) use a fine file or fine grit wet/dry sandpaper and sand the repair untill its flush with the base(if you removed most of the excess glue when it was wet then shouldnt take much work till its flat).

Thanks Krusty, Great tip.

So that's how it's done. Hairdryer to keep it runny!

I hate epoxy and I avoid using it.

Messy stuff and I don't like sanding the stuff because it's hard, and the dust.

Always thought, if I had a wide belt sander , blah blah... your way does seem less filing to do!

smile thumbsup

Just dont get mixed up or confused with epoxy glue/adhesive(which is what you want to be using here) and epoxy resin(used for surfboard repairs/fibreglassing etc). Make sure its glue that you use for the repair and using the hair dryer will only make it runny for a short time, once it starts to cure then its best just to leave it.