If you come in Xmas/NY or CNY then there's a real difference in the ratio with a lot more Hongkies. But if you come outside of these holiday periods for much of Jan and Feb the Aussie ratio is definitely higher.

I do and I have seen no evidence of that many Hongkies.

'cept one year there was this English couple we got talking to:

me: "where you from?", (expecting England)

couple: "Hong Kong"

me: "you don't look it" lol

Well most of the stats come from the accommodation providers and they classify a Hongky as anyone who lives there. Obviously a large portion of these so called hongkies are expats from Europe and often Aus.

From a marketing perspective nationality isn't really a concern it's where the people are coming from that matters, where the tourism markets exist.

well when I was there there were plenty Chinese, dunno if they were from HK or the mainland though. They were the asian contingent, mostly it was ozzies....rarely did I see or hear any locals

Japanese staying guests down 10% in one year. That'll be the Japanese economy to blame.

1/4 of all stays from non-Japanese starting from one percent seven years ago. Very impressive!

These don't seem right then... or maybe it does when considering it includes the Japanese travellers also. I hate charts, worst way to die, death by power point charts.

Niseko-0910+guests+pie+chart.jpg

Niseko-0910+guests+time+series.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The report says 167,000 nights' accom for foreign tourists. Let's say 200,000 for ones under the radar.

With a mainly 100 day season and discounting for peaks at NY and CNY, does that mean there are typically 500 to 1000 non-Japanese staying in Niseko every night in winter?

Thanks mate. Just wondering as to the customer base supporting the various businesses up there.

I guess some of the new big developments will also bring in more customers of their own.

• 2 weeks later...