ROFL! Why assume I have the answer... am I the old wise one! grandpa lol

As it so happens - living in Perth all my life I know a little about sunburn.

1st Prevention is the best cure. DON;T get burnt in the first place silly!! Pack sunscreen - zinc is good for sunny snow days, and you can buy clear zinc.

Once you are burnt it is important to stop it getting worse - take the heat out as much as possible. Cold showers or baths, cool compresses stop it continuing to burn. You can to do this every time it feels hot....even if that is the next day, or a few days later.

DONT stick on oils and lotions and potions - not while the skin is still hot...it only cooks you more.

After you have cooled the best thing is Aloe Vera - either straight from the plant or from a 100% Aloe Vera bottle, try to avoid moisturizers that 'contain' Aloe that are designed for dry skin, at least until the burn is gone and you are just dealing with dry peeling skin.

Most importantly - try not to get that area re-burnt anytime soon! It will burn fast the second time around.

You might be able to buy some sunburn preparations at the chemist - sometimes you can get sprays to take the sting out (anaesthetic sprays etc) ... or 2nd skin burn treatments for raw area's. But if it is THAT bad - I would go see a doctor.

Hope that helps.

SLIP SLOP SLAP Mitch!

(Slip on a shirt, Slop on sunscreen and Slap on a hat)

Thank you MB

I did so many things wrong...ugh. My eyes are really bad right now though. I had glasses on and took them off only a short while. I'm in rough shape haha.

rollabout

I have to laugh...whenever there is a medical problem Papa brings it to me - he calls me Dr Missy!

Shoulda gone to med school.

Cold compresses for the eye's there Mitch.

Wet some cotton pads or a face washer/wash cloth with cool water and lay it over your eye's. Wear sunglasses.

Look after yourself. XX

I went to the emergency room at 3 am. They told me I had a pretty bad case of burtn retnas. I can barely open my eyes and the past 24 hours have been some of the worst pain I have ever experienced. Eye pain is the worst! The sun can really be a big meanie!

Jesus! You were not kidding about the sunburn.

The reflection from the snow is pretty bad - if you are not wearing goggles you HAVE to wear sunglasses. Papa just got a pair of snow sport sunnies made up for him in his own prescription - he's kinda going blind now he is over 40! bwaahahhahaha

Powder Baby has some prescription sunnies also, but I think I might get some snow sport ones made for him after hearing about your experience as his current ones don't have side protection - which you really need in the harsh bright light reflected from the snow. PB is pretty blind already...burnt retina's would be disastrous for him!

Try the cold compresses on the eye's.

I got 'snow blindness' about 30 years ago on a school trip.

The only thing that worked was a cool compress and a dark room.

I believe eye-drops are available that contain a mild anaesthetic - give them a go.

An old remedy for sunburnt skin is a cool bath with some vinegar added. If you get blisters, DO NOT break them = infection. Gently wipe with a solution of warm water and salt to dry them out. (It really works and avoids nasty chemicals).

Oh my gosh Mitch you poor thing I feel your pain. I was going to offer my tried an true sunburn remedy rub a tomato on bad sunburn or fresh aloe vera BUT I think the Emergency room was the best place for you. sadface

Thanks guys, the sunburn is pretty minimal compared to the eye pain. They gave me eye drops at the hospital which helped heal them but hurt pretty bad. The only thing I could do was sleep to avoid them from hurting. Going outside was torture. I have never had anything like this happen and I only had my glasses off for an hour or so. It's scary what the sun can do when you are at that high of elevation with no clouds and surrounded by snow!

Be really careful guys.

BFG's mates Dad recently passed away from a battle with Cancer which began with an aggressive tumor on his eyeball that was most likely triggered from sun damage - he was an avid boatie. He was a doctor, and left behind 3 kids 12 to 16 yrs of age.

Good SUNGLASSES!!

ZINC CREAM

It really is worth looking after your health.

Originally Posted By: veronica
No long term damage Mitch?

Hopefully not, but I can say I learned my lesson now. That will never happen to me again.