OK I have been given a replacement battery for my phone - new one - though the one I am using is doing ok and I don't feel the need to change, though it would be good to perhaps have a backup in case I run out.

Question - am I best just not touching this new battery until I need it and then start using it? I suppose what I am asking is, can I keep an unused as new rechargeable batteries for a long time and then one day when I want to start using it bring it into action and it will be just fine? (Or are they always going to be declining in their abilities, even if I have never charged it up once).

Batteries confused me.

Thanks.

are they lithium ion? If so, don't let them go completely dead. These batteries can lie dormant for upto a year.

Do you intend to keep your phone for another year or two? If maybe, then you can use the new battery right now and reap the benefits. If "not sure" then you would have wasted the new battery when you go change your phone.

I bought a new battery for my phone about 6 months ago - the old one was losing charge in a fairly short space of time - so it was either that or get a new phone. Being the 'why replace a perfectly good...' type of gal that I am - I bought the new battery.

Unfortunately my phone seems to be randomly switching itself off now. Not too badly at this stage, but I see a new phone in the not too distant horizon. makes me wonder whether I should have got that new battery or just traded up at the time....

confused

Phones don't seem to be a long term purchase anymore. Pretty much the life of the phone is the same as the life of the battery - give or take a few months.

Not sure about other countries, but in Japan all mobile phones and their batteries are designed to last 18 months maximum, before deteriating, the reason is if the phones and the batteries last too long then the companies would not be able to survive as people would not need to change them.

Having said that most of the younger generation in Japan typically like to change to the latest model with in two years or less, the manufacturers are on a win-win situation. This is not the same for the 40+ groups who tend to use keep their phones until they break, which equals a large portion of the population.

Thanks. Yes it says Li-ion on the back.

Just not sure whether I want to start it up now or keep it a bit before initially charging it. Thats why I was asking if I don't touch it will it still be "new" in 6 months if I leave it that long before charging the first time..

Definitely something that needs explaining more, I agree.

Though I'm sure a lot of money is made on replacement batteries, so perhaps that ain't going to happen right now.